Thread: Adobe Flash and HTML 5

Beans

Adobe Flash and HTML 5

I forgot that Apple and OSX doesn't use flash either. They use HTML 5 for youtube, Vimeo, etc.. Will this workout in the same way with Linux as it does with Apple.
    Last edited by jedimasterk; March 12th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Adobe Flash and HTML 5

Apple iOS (their mobile OS) doesn't allow Flash, but their desktop/laptop OS, OS X, does.

But Adobe has been working hard to make Flash an unattractive solution, with unparallelled achievements like unnecessarily high CPU use and an unusual variety of security holes, which has helped legitimize some of the complaints in Steve Jobs' name-calling campaign to hasten Flash's demise.

Last year Adobe began offering HTML5 output options for their Flash authoring tools, and I suspect the relevance of their player will decline at an ever-accelerated rate going forward.

I'd be surprised if the Flash player exists for any platform in another three years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jedimasterk View Post
    I forgot that Apple and OSX doesn't use flash either. They use HTML 5 for youtube, Vimeo, etc.. Will this workout in the same way with Linux as it does with Apple.
    The latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Chromium and Opera already support HTML5. It works for YouTube the same way. However, there are different implementations of HTML5 video. Some sites use h.264 encoding, which is not supported by all browsers. All mainstream browsers support Webm, which is what YouTube is using, since is developed by Google.

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    Apple iOS (their mobile OS) doesn't allow Flash, but their desktop/laptop OS, OS X, does.

But Adobe has been working hard to make Flash an unattractive solution, with unparallelled achievements like unnecessarily high CPU use and an unusual variety of security holes, which has helped legitimize some of the complaints in Steve Jobs' name-calling campaign to hasten Flash's demise.

Last year Adobe began offering HTML5 output options for their Flash authoring tools, and I suspect the relevance of their player will decline at an ever-accelerated rate going forward.

I'd be surprised if the Flash player exists for any platform in another three years.
    Adobe recently dropped support for Flash on Linux entirely. Future versions of Flash will be implemented by Google using Chrome's Pepper API. Mozilla will probably not implement such API.

Adobe will still provide security updates to Flash 11.2 for 5 years. However, they are not even responding to users help requests and bug reports.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    However, they are not even responding to users help requests and bug reports.
    How is that different from any other Adobe product?

(Sorry, couldn't resist; I've had some, shall we say, "interesting" experiences dealing with them over the years.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    How is that different from any other Adobe product?

(Sorry, couldn't resist; I've had some, shall we say, "interesting" experiences dealing with them over the years.)
    I couldn't say, because I never asked Adobe for help and I only use Flash from them.