Thread: Software Updates frozen but not really?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Software Updates frozen but not really?

Hey everybody,

Just installed Kubuntu 11.10 onto an HP Mini 110 w/ a Intel Atom 1.6GHZ processor and 1GB of ram.

It runs fine, but when I started the update through Muon Software Center it started updating but stopped working at "Preparing to configure plasma-widgets-workspace" at 43%.

It's not frozen, everything on the computer still works, keyboard + mouse, switching terminals and even opening new applications. The kickstarter menu is empty, no applications show up.

The DPKG.log in /var/log/dpkg.log shows it successfully unpacked libnm-glib4 0.9.1.90-0ubuntu5.1, at 5:01 PM my time, and it's been over an hour and it's still like this.

I can't shutdown, restart, logout, etc; the action is canceled by muon software center.

Should I just wait it out or is there anything I can do to check the progress? Thanks.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Software Updates frozen but not really?

I had the same thing happen yesterday. You cant shut down at all? Did you try to shutdown through the terminal?

Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    You basically need to get rid of muon so that you can complete the process through the terminal.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    That should finish the job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Software Updates frozen but not really?

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    I had the same thing happen yesterday. You cant shut down at all? Did you try to shutdown through the terminal?

Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    You basically need to get rid of muon so that you can complete the process through the terminal.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    That should finish the job.
    It wouldn't let me shutdown graphically, but in the end I just did sudo shtudown -r now, it restarted but the keyboard and mouse stopped working.

In the end I just reinstalled and updated through the terminal than Muon.
    Thanks for the help though, it Muon every freezes again I'll exit and repair dpkg with the code above.

Thanks.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!