Thread: Accessing #ubuntu channel on IRC

Beans

Accessing #ubuntu channel on IRC

I am a complete IRC newbie and am unsure of how to join the #ubuntu channel on irc.

I am using Adium as my client and have registered my username with nickserv.

What are the next steps to actually accessing the #ubuntu channel?

Seems like this should be the easy part but nothing I am trying is working.

When I am in nickserv and enter /join #ubuntu I get:
    (notice) Invalid command. Use /msg NickServ help for a command listing.

If I try to make a new chat with irc.freenode.net (MyUserName) as the from and #ubuntu as the to I get:
    "User is not logged in"

How do I login to the #ubuntu channel?

Beans

Re: Accessing #ubuntu channel on IRC

Take a look at this document: http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup

It will give you steps to set up a registered nickname (i.e. user name) on Freenode. Once you've done that, then you can put that nick into your IRC client of choice (xchat, mIRC, etc.) You'll also need to look for the nickserv password field and put your password in there.

Normally, when you log onto Freenode, it will ask you for your password. This eliminates the request by automating the process. Otherwise, at login, you would type something like:

/msg nickserv identify blah where blah is your password.

Also, once you're on Freenode, you'll find (in time) that a lot of other groups are there, too. In particular I'm thinking other Linux distro groups, Mac OS X groups, iPod and iPhone groups, and Android-related groups. For whatever reason, a lot of groups have either migrated to or originated on Freenode.

All commands in IRC are proceeded with a forward slash, like join, part, exit, etc. Also, if you want to say something in the third person, you put me there.

For example, let's assume your nickname was jsmith123. If you typed /me throws MisterGaribaldi a sarcastic glance. what you would see show up is:

* | jsmith123 throws MisterGaribaldi a sarcastic glance.

Sometimes the channel holder will have an approved bot (or two, or three) in there which can be used to perform certain functions. Those functions usually, but not always, will use either an exclamation point or a tilde. For example you might type !calc 2*2 and you'll get an automated reply with the answer to that query.

Anyhow, go into it with an open mind, and you can have some serious fun.

Good luck!

Beans

Thanks for your help MisterGaribaldi!!!!

Beans

When you have it all up and running you may be interested to know that there is a channel for these Ubuntu Forums: #ubuntuforums that might be worth a visit.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?