View Poll Results: How do you pronounce the name of the Asus computer brand?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asus, like, the way it's actually pronounced. What's so hard about that?

14 38.89%
  • With a sloppy schwa, like "the", or a "short U", like "us."

9 25.00%
  • With a "long U" sound, like "boot," to make you cry.

10 27.78%
  • None of those! I'll explain in the thread.

3 8.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you pronounce the name "Asus"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do you pronounce the name "Asus"?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum
    It's all very well saying how it should be pronounced in English, but Asus is a Taiwanese company. You should pronounce it how the Taiwanese pronounce it.
    Not actually as practical as it sounds. Different languages simply have different sets of phonemes to work with, so any word that gets transliterated from one language to another usually shows some wear. The simplest example is that the [r] sound in Japanese, English, and French are all completely distinct from one another, with different tongue positions and everything, but still close enough to be substituted for one another when a word crosses between any of those languages.

Also, Asus isn't written as phonetic English or a phonetic transcription from Taiwanese or Mandarin into Roman characters. The sort of default Western pronunciation of the name as it's written would have been exactly the one from the old advertisement. It's the last four letters of the not-originally Taiwanese, not-originally-English word Pegasus, pronounced the way the company felt like pronouncing them. = )

Using [æ] (the A in cat) is still creatively wrong, of course. = )

Edit: Also, English doesn't use [ø], so I don't think that's what he was going for, anyway.

Edit again: Unless you meant me, in which case, we don't really have the short [u] sound in English, either. Zeus uses [u:].
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; March 11th, 2012 at 06:21 AM.

Beans

Well, if you listen to the gal on engaget, it's pronounced the way I've always pronounced it:

A - seuss.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think you're appreciating the degree of nitpicking I'm engaging in here. = ) The first time she says it, she enunciates more clearly, and it sounds like [eɪsus], but the second is more like [eɪsʊs], as attested on Wikipedia. Both have the accent on the first syllable, as you're saying. The one that's nails on a chalkboard to me is [eɪsu:s] (to rhyme with Zeus, Seuss, etc.) but with an accent on the second syllable. She can't be mistaken for doing that, obviously. ([eɪsəs] still sounds less affected to me. [u] without an accent is really hard.)

But I started the poll because I was curious how common each pronunciation really is, and now I wish I'd set the poll up differently, because both the range of possibilities and the correct pronunciation are actually different from what I'd initially thought.

Beans

Oh, you can nit-pick all you like. That's cool by me!

I have no idea what the stuff you were writing for your pronunciation guides are, what language they're oriented towards, etc., so I just repeated what I heard the oriental gal say in as basic a standard American English way as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, that works. = )

The symbols I used are from the IPA, which kaldor used, and I'd thought that 3rdalbum was responding to him. The most likely place you'll run into them is Wikipedia's pronunciation keys.

Beans
    Hidden!

*** - oos.

I do it to troll the jaypeg and gooey people.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I actually pronounce it more like "A sis" (or /ɛisIs/ in IPA, weird things happen to my unstressed schwas), but the pronunciation used by the company itself is what's authoritative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Definitely aςh-bo-z™ueσsus, the way it's supposed to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Asus is sort for Asustek (*** yooz tek).

Leave my butt alone !!

I pronounce the shortened version to Aah Zeus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I do pronounce it: "Asciusassasà!"

It's liberating
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast