Thread: GMA500-Poulsbo Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

GMA500-Poulsbo Update

Hey, fellows (you know who you are) does any of this link apply to what is to be released with 12.04?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA2ODQ
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Re: GMA500-Poulsbo Update

Hi fjgaude!
    unfortunately at the moment these patches are just for kernel 3.4... we have to wait!

btw there is aleady some ongoing work in precise to have a out-of-the-box experience with psb_gfx.
    There are a couple of bug reports marked as work in progress.

Beans
    Distro

Well, sooner or later I'll give 12.04 a try with psb_gfx. Right now the EMGD 1.8 is working okay w/ 11.10.

I'll give kernel 3.4 a try as soon as it is out. Will 12.04 ever get it?

Thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by fjgaude; March 10th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n

Beans
    Distro

Any work on psb_gfx is good news (I am using it in Precise beta on my 751h at the moment), but ultimately the lack of hardware acceleration to me means there is still no real future for this chip ... EMGD 1.8 works OK for me on Natty (my main production partition), but having spent the last 3 years with this lovely little netbook I am likely to replace it this summer (considering an Aspire S3 Ultrabook).

Still its been a hell of a ride!
    Pilot Paul

Acer Aspire S3-951

Beans
    Distro

Yeah guys! let's ride the crazy wave!!

-- Lazulum Gtk3 theming PPA: "Lazulum" New clean gtk3 theme Project.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
    Any work on psb_gfx is good news (I am using it in Precise beta on my 751h at the moment), but ultimately the lack of hardware acceleration to me means there is still no real future for this chip ... EMGD 1.8 works OK for me on Natty (my main production partition), but having spent the last 3 years with this lovely little netbook I am likely to replace it this summer (considering an Aspire S3 Ultrabook).

Still its been a hell of a ride!
    It has been a great ride! I'm likely to keep my Dell Mini 10 for several more years though due to it's small formfactor and ability to slip it in and out of my jacket for on the fly environment testing. Hopefully we'll get the bugs out and fully support the gma500 without all of the hoop jumping.

I just gave Lubuntu a shot and it doesn't boot at all after install. Freezes with the Lubuntu loading screen.

Beans
    Distro

Wow, I ran the Release i386 ISO of 12.04 on my Dell mini-10n without a hitch! WiFi, sound, screen resolution (1366x768) all working without intervention.

Thank you, Alan Fox, Tista, Luca, and all, for the good work.

Will report if the machine sleeps/resumes after install to a partition.

UPDATE: Installed, went as expected, following the tips from Poulsbo support site.

Ran GTKPERF and received 30.1 seconds, the best ever! Was 300 sec on 11.10 and 70 sec on 10.04. Wow! Thanks to all!

Am updating kernel to 3.2.0-24 pae now.

UPDATE: No go for Resume after Suspend. Everything works as it should.
    Last edited by fjgaude; April 27th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

Beans