Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Street Team Has Started

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Street Team Has Started

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    Interesting. I have a few ideas on the front end, planning type stuff.
    Sweet any tips are good tips at this point.

I've read your personal wiki a while back, Josephmills, and it's clear to me that you're serious about this. I applaud your efforts to bring Ubuntu to the people. The concept may be new in Ubuntu circles but it certainly isn't in the wide world of marketing. IMHO the project could probably benefit from studying some successful examples of programs similar to the one you propose. There's no point in reinventing the wheel. I'll PM you with more details.
    From its debut in **** to present day, the primary mission of ****** Touring Division was to raise funds for a selected non-profit in each community %%%%% visited while on tour. The net proceeds raised at a particular show (donations and money from the sale of %%%%%%%%%% merchandise) were donated directly to the organization tabling at that show, after deducting a small fee to help cover the program's overhead and the cost of the merchandise.

To date ^^^^^^ has donated over $550,000 to more than 325 non-profits. This has only been possible because of the support of the fans.

some of the charity's that I have helped
    Community Servings
    venue state charity
    Wantagh, NY- Homes for the Homeless
    Wantagh, NY- Rock the Earth
    Wantagh, NY- NYC Coalition Against Hunger
    Mansfield, MA - Conservation Law Foundation
    Asheville, NC Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs
    Knoxville, TN- TCWN
    St. Louis, MO - ByteWorks
    Burgettstown, PA - Operation Safety Net
    Noblesville, IN - School on Wheels Corp.
    East Troy, WI - Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
    East Troy, WI - Amnesty International group 39
    Morrison, CO – Colorado Watershed Assembly
    Morrison, CO – Conscious Alliance
    Morrison, CO – Denver Urban Gardens
    Morrison, CO- General Fund
    Mountain View, CA- SEVA
    George, WA - Vashon Youth Council
    George, WA - Upper Salmon Recovery Board
    Chicago, IL- Greater Chicago Food Depository
    Darien Center, NY - Western New York Land Conservancy
    Hartford, CT – Prudence Crandell Center
    Columbia, MD - DC Central Kitchen\Homeless and Travelers Aid Society (HATAS)
    Amsouth Amphitheatre, Nashville TN - Kids to the Country
    Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta GA - Southern Appalachian Biodiversity Project
    Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta GA - Upper Chattahoochi Riverkeeper
    Alltel Pavilion, Raleigh NC - Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
    PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ - Northeast Organic Farming Association of New Jersey
    PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ - Isles, Inc.
    Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford CT - Waterwheel general fund
    Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford CT - Farmington River Watershed Association
    E Centre, Camden NJ - American Littoral Society
    E Centre, Camden NJ - Student Environmental Action Coalition
    Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto ON - Friends of the Lubicon
    Star Lake Amphtheatre, Burgettstown PA - Allegheny Defense Project
    Alpine Valley, East Troy WI - Hunger Task Force
    Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville IN - Jinny O'Brien Free Clinic
    Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville IN - Quest For Excellence / Ada's Place
    Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville IN - Hoosier Environmental Council
    Polaris Amphitheatre, Columbus OH - Choices for Victims of Domestic Violence
    Polaris Amphitheatre, Columbus OH - Youth Empowerment Program
    Pepsi Arena, Albany NY - Waterkeeper Alliance
    Pepsi Arena, Albany NY - Conservation Law Foundation
    Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA - Housing Assistance Corp.
    Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA - Keeping Track
    Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center NY - Great Lakes United
    HersheyPark Stadium, Hershey PA - Penn State Center for Sustainability
    Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia MD - My Sisters Place
    Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH - Amnesty International
    Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati OH - Coalition for the Homeless
    Allstate Arena, Rosemont IL - Aidscare
    Allstate Arena, Rosemont IL - Chicago Abused Women Coalition
    Target Center, Minneapolis MN - Honor the Earth
    Fiddlers Green, Englewood CO - Denver Urban Gardens
    Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas NV - Friends of Nevada Wilderness
    Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas NV - Safenest
    Desert Sky Amphitheatre, Phoenix AZ - Center for Biological Diversity
    Coors Amphitheatre, Chula Vista CA - San Diego Bay Keeper
    Irvine Meadows, Irvine CA - Beyond Shelter
    Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View CA - Environmental Protection Information Center
    Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View CA - Salmon River Restoration Council

I have also started the California law for ti stop the cutting of old growth redwoods and well all old growth

I also helped make it so children in California that had parents that where still at work had a place that they could go more about that here http://www.afterschoolallstars.org/s...NpFmG&b=854685

I hope that this is a little bit of reinsurance for people that I know what I am up against and what I am doing.

Thanks to everyone that is giving me there support (you know who you are)

All that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks again !
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

I hate those posters that get put up for bands etc as they never get taken down after the concert and look terrible. Worse than graffiti in some ways.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Sorry, but that's just reality.
    Sorry, but Reality is in the Eye of the Beholder
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VH-BIL View Post
    I hate those posters that get put up for bands etc as they never get taken down after the concert and look terrible. Worse than graffiti in some ways.
    Maybe you should take them down ? As you are a part of this also. j/k but yes they should have what is called a "green crew" these are the people that pick up afterwords.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by josephmills View Post
    Maybe you should take them down ? As you are a part of this also. j/k but yes they should have what is called a "green crew" these are the people that pick up afterwords.
    Maybe I was be a little negative as I have never seen a "green crew" only old posters I think handing out Live CD's is an awesome idea though.

I just support Linux by converting people. Will think just be Ubuntu or Kubuntu and other flavours as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I see the past repeating itself here.

Yes, I know things have changed substantially since the last great "go Linux" push back in 1998-99, but "the masses" out there aren't looking for principled, personal liberty-oriented operating systems. They're looking for what "just works" and doesn't require them to have to worry about technological support for their hardware of choice (which will be whatever the heck it will be), nor commercial support, nor are they interested in worrying about choosing between dual booting / VMing / WINEing / sourcing alternative F/OSS apps as a strategy to maintain their existing levels of productivity.

I love Linux, and I love such things as F/OSS and the GPL, but then I've always been a tech enthusiast, and I'm (not to bring politics into this, but) also a Libertarian at heart, and even all that being said I still demand a "production" environment which is why my desktops aren't running Linux, but Mac OS X and Windows. There's certain software I *need* to run for which there just aren't substitutes.

Now yes, it's true, everyone running Linux who doesn't *have* to support Win32/64 or Mac OS X apps would be a significant number of people and it would do the world a "world of good" because it would cut down on the nature and spread of viruses and vulnerabilities, but the average person out there isn't cut from the right sort of cloth to do this. Sorry, but that's just reality.
    That's funny -- because I have several hundred production systems running Linux.

That being said, you might be right in saying that the average person isn't cut from the cloth to deal with it. A lot of people aren't cut from the right cloth to do a lot of things. However, there are individuals who want to try different things, but might not be aware of the options.

Take it back to the context of music where this street team idea originally came from. You might not like heavy metal music. So if someone promotes a heavy metal band to you, you're not going to go see it. However I might love Heavy Metal, I could have Iron Maiden posters all over my room , and just never have heard of your band. I would go see it if it were promoted to me.

Your argument assumes that Canonical has reached 100% of its potential market saturation in individuals who might be interested in using its product, a scenario I find highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Dangertux; March 12th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Any plans to focus your street team on audiences that might be especially receptive? e.g. Universities, coffee shops near local design / web development companies, hacker spaces &c?

When Precise goes stable, I might go to a few hacker-space like events and just show it around. Load it with the audio software from ubuntustudio packages, that kind of stuff.
    First of all- W.O.W. josephmills you have done an amazing amount of volunteer work. Your business plan is obviously pretty firm, so my input would be pedestrian!

My thoughts are kind of aligned with keithpeter here. I see the effort being possibly successful among receptive audiences like at colleges. I'm struggling to see how Ubuntu would find a substantial audience at, say, a Blossom Music Center Black Eyed Peas concert. Maybe I just lack the creativity to see your vision. Do you have any video from an Ubuntu Street Team event? I got the impression that you've done a few already.

Can you talk a little about how you choose the venues? Are you strictly looking at the attendance numbers? Or are you looking at the interests of the people attending the event as well?

Here's where I'm coming from: you listed E Centre, Camden NJ - Student Environmental Action Coalition. You didn't list the type of festival/concert but it matters. For instance I can see an environmental group being wildly successful at a Phish concert. I can see them being mostly ignored at a monster truck rally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

yea I dont think that a monstor truck show would be the greatest of ideas.

I Think about it like this.just for shows that is as the Ubuntu Street team is way more then just having a booth at a show. There is way way way more stuff going on then just that. Like getting involed with LoCo groups to do SEO work for there sites. Helping Loco Groups by promoting them.

1) are the people going to be relaxed there?
    2) how many people ?
    3) $$?
    4) vending ?
    5) what are the rules and how old is the average person

I think that the idea stuck with me after I installed Linux Mint Windows 7 and Ubuntu and fedora on my Girl friends computer (no-tech-ex at all)
    In the 1st week she was mostly about ubuntu and 7 she asked me to remove fedora by the end of the week.
    2 to 3 weeks later she asked me to remove mint and 7

That is when I knew that ubuntu is for the masses I mean these are her words "could you just have it so ubuntu is installed it is easier to use" I could not believe it.

There are many issue that the community faces like propratry wireless cards and other things. There has been a mass movement in this with jockey and it is getting more and more easy as the days go by.

there are many other things that I would like to talk about but I still think that I need a lawyer 1st. The last thing that I want to do is to get my-self in any troubles.

you are also right about Blossom Music Center I just wanted to put as much stuff up as I could. as fast as I could

I am sorry to say that I do not have any videos. But I have only gone out and handed out cds a couple of times. I did not want to do any of this until I got my Ubuntu membership. (business cards email ect ) So any thing that I have done up to now has been [art of Loco.

There is a attached screen shot of the backend of the website I hope that by tomorrow I will have the basic stuff done. css template and what not.Right now I am working on gettting the menus to look like unity then on to the top bar.

By the way any one can sign in using there Ubuntu SSO Just click the Login tab in the menu on the home page.

Then I will take time to start writing and reaching out to my local friends to help.

until then back to work.

thanks again for all of you support I truly think that you all are get people
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VH-BIL View Post
    Will think just be Ubuntu or Kubuntu and other flavours as well?
    all flavors

Beans

josephmills, have you seen the New York State Ubuntu Local Community Team wiki? It says they need a Marketing Lead & Event Coordinator.

I just nominated you!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast