Thread: remove desktop environment completely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

remove desktop environment completely

Hi there,

I have experimented a little with lxde as alternative DE. Finally I have decided to remove it. During installation apt-get had written that about one hundread megabytes are going to be used.

This is what I use to remove it

Code:
     sudo apt-get --purge remove lxde
    During removal about 20 megabytes where removed. Then I have run

Code:
     sudo apt-get autoremove
    and another about 10 megabytes where gone. I though that's all but then I have run

Code:
     sudo dpkg -S lxde
    and it yielded a list of about 60 packages plainly belonging to lxde. I want to try other environments as well and I do not want to have half packages left on disk after each try. So I want to remove them. I tried to remove orphanded packages as well but

Code:
     deborphan
    has found just two packages unrelated to lxde. I don't believe that package manager doesn't remember which packages where installed because I asked to and which where installed to satisfy dependencies. But if it is so than there is no problem to somehow remove all packages which I did'nt ask to isntall and there is nothing which depends on them now...

but I am not able to find how that can be done.
    please advise
    thnks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: remove desktop environment completely

what's your original Environment ?

OK see this http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome
    Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1. I have unity installed. Currently trying xfce.

2. I went to the link you posted couple of times. But it is useless to me because in remove command for lubuntu there are packages which was already installed before lxde and I want to keep them.

3. I don't want to go through long list of packages and check them. They are computers to do so. I believe package manager has all the information needed as I wrote in first post.

4. Moreover I don't need the list of packages to remove. I could remove the packages with lxde in their name. I hope that there is a systematic way to do it. Removing packages no longer needed is vital part of package management....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi do this
    Code:
    (apt-cache depends lubuntu-desktop; apt-cache depends ubuntu-desktop; apt-cache depends ubuntu-desktop) | cut -d ‘:’ -f 2 | tr -d [:blank:] | sort | uniq -u | tr [:space:] ‘ ‘ | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge
    while i am in Ubuntu 11.10 testing i have posted a thread on specific Envi and mc4man & Mise gave me this solution . Thanks guys .

@Op i am sure that gonna help you .
    Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, thank you that is definitely way to go. But I am a little surprised. I though that this stuff si more automated. Maybe there is something I am missing why it is not so easy to do.

I have made a few corrections to your command. Now it looks like this

Code:
    apt-cache depends lxde | cut -d: -f 2 | tr -d [:blank:] | grep -v "^<" | sort | uniq -u | tr [:space:] ' ' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge
    Delimiter to cut was malformed and I added that grep to remove entries like "<something>"

thanks for help