Thread: unable to enumerate USB device (ft232r)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

unable to enumerate USB device (ft232r)

The USB to Serial coverter ft232r is fitted onto a Rainbowduino which is an Arduino shield device.

My 11.10 desktop will happily chat to the Arduino via USB but will not recognise the Rainbowduino. From DMESG I get the following:

Code:
    [ 6323.428040] usb 6-3: new full speed USB device number 21 using ohci_hcd
    [ 6323.612042] usb 6-3: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    [ 6323.900045] usb 6-3: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    [ 6324.180040] usb 6-3: new full speed USB device number 22 using ohci_hcd
    [ 6324.364040] usb 6-3: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    [ 6324.652045] usb 6-3: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    [ 6324.932041] usb 6-3: new full speed USB device number 23 using ohci_hcd
    [ 6325.340034] usb 6-3: device not accepting address 23, error -62
    [ 6325.516049] usb 6-3: new full speed USB device number 24 using ohci_hcd
    [ 6325.924035] usb 6-3: device not accepting address 24, error -62
    [ 6325.924067] hub 6-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
    I saw here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=213447 advice to install libftdi but this has not helped as yet.

lsusb does not show the device.

Any help welcome. I have searched around but found little I can make use of.
    Last edited by hundred1906; March 9th, 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: I see from the ftdi site that the drivers are preloaded into the kernal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: unable to enumerate USB device (ft232r)

Hi

Try adding
    Code:
    irqpoll
    as a boot option on the kernel command line. If that does not work then remove it.

You may also try to read the device using the other method defined in the USB standard.

Open a terminal and type

Code:
    echo Y | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first
    Then insert the USB device. If it's detected correctly then add this to the kernel command line.

Code:
    usbcore.old-scheme-first=1
    Kind regards
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

Do not read newspapers on an empty stomach ~ Russian Proverb ~ BrunoLotse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for that advice. I have not tried the IRQPOLL recommendation for a couple of reasons, firstly my /boot/grub/menu.lst is empty, plus there are reported problems with IRQPOLL on 11.10 so am hesitant to go down that path with my limited understanding (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870003)

I did try your second recommendation "old_scheme_first" but it had no effect.

The Arduino (which does chat with my USB) has the large square type USB connection. The Rainbowduino has a microUSB connector. Could this be relevant? I have swapped cables and ports to no effect.

My thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by hundred1906 View Post
    Thanks for that advice. I have not tried the IRQPOLL recommendation for a couple of reasons, firstly my /boot/grub/menu.lst is empty, plus there are reported problems with IRQPOLL on 11.10 so am hesitant to go down that path with my limited understanding (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870003)
    Thanks for this above. I was not aware of it. I will have a look at the sources.

I did try your second recommendation "old_scheme_first" but it had no effect.
    I did wonder.

The Arduino (which does chat with my USB) has the large square type USB connection. The Rainbowduino has a microUSB connector. Could this be relevant? I have swapped cables and ports to no effect.

My thanks.
    That should not have much of effect (at least i don't think so).

Just to prove it's not a hardware problem, you have tried it on a different platform (Windows or MAC) ?

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 11th, 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have tried on a different computer but that was also running 11.10 (Windows free zone here). If I found a Windows machine and it worked I would still have the problem so what I think I need to do is find some way of understanding what these error codes are telling me. So for example what are "address 24" and "error -62" in the DMESG dump above. Where do you find the meaning of these codes because they are not showing up for me on a google search.

Alternatively (or as well) should I reload the driver software, in which case how?

My thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by hundred1906 View Post
    I have tried on a different computer but that was also running 11.10 (Windows free zone here). If I found a Windows machine and it worked I would still have the problem so what I think I need to do is find some way of understanding what these error codes are telling me. So for example what are "address 24" and "error -62" in the DMESG dump above. Where do you find the meaning of these codes because they are not showing up for me on a google search.

Alternatively (or as well) should I reload the driver software, in which case how?

My thanks.
    The error codes are defined in include/asm-generic/errno.h in the linux sources.

Error code 62 is

Code:
    #define ETIME           62      /* Timer expired */
    -ETIME is returned hence -62.

device descriptor read/64 is the 64 byte descriptor the kernel sends to the device. It is not getting a response hence the timeout.

Having a look in drivers/usb/core/hub.c, it has a number of tries at sending and recieving the descriptor hence the USB device number xx entries.

That is what is happening i think but I would need more time to look at the code to be totally sure though.

Not sure why it's happening though.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 12th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.