Thread: Kubuntu and Ubuntu in Dual Boot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Kubuntu and Ubuntu in Dual Boot

After certain 'problems' with Kubuntu 11.10, I decided to see if they appeared in Ubuntu 11'10 which I set up as dual boot. Ubuntu did not have the conflicts and now I want to remove Kubuntu and use the space for the Ubuntu partition.
    A. How do I identify which partition holds Kubuntu ? (Loaded first would seem to be SDA 1)
    B. If I merely remove Kubuntu, will it adversely effect the booting of Ubuntu?
    C. Suggestions I simply overwrite the whole disc are unacceptable as I shall lose key links within Thunderbird which I cannot recreate.
    D. Any suggestions should bear in mind that I am looking for simple, preferably not too technical advice.

Help would be gratefully received and acknowledged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Kubuntu and Ubuntu in Dual Boot

Quote Originally Posted by freshminted View Post
    After certain 'problems' with Kubuntu 11.10, I decided to see if they appeared in Ubuntu 11'10 which I set up as dual boot. Ubuntu did not have the conflicts and now I want to remove Kubuntu and use the space for the Ubuntu partition.
    A. How do I identify which partition holds Kubuntu ? (Loaded first would seem to be SDA 1)
    B. If I merely remove Kubuntu, will it adversely effect the booting of Ubuntu?
    C. Suggestions I simply overwrite the whole disc are unacceptable as I shall lose key links within Thunderbird which I cannot recreate.
    D. Any suggestions should bear in mind that I am looking for simple, preferably not too technical advice.

Help would be gratefully received and acknowledged.
    not sure about how to know for definite which partition is which. But i would back up your /home directory (should backup your thunderbird stuff) then fire up the live cd/usb and open gparted. Then simply delete the kubuntu partition and and then resize the ubuntu one to fill the gap.

on the gparted it gives you a bar representing your hard drive. the kubuntu partition will probably be the 1 on the left. then the ubuntu parititon, then swap space on the far right. (as a guess, your experience may vary :-p )

i've done this before when deleting windows and it worked fine. grub remembers which partition to boot ubuntu from and its name wont change when your resize. Then run a grub refresh when you boot into ubuntu and it will clean away the kubuntu option for you.

**note: ** the resize could mess up and lose all your data. has never happened to me, but you never know.
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Kubuntu and Ubuntu in Dual Boot

If you run the bootinfo script (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) and copy and paste the results here, we can help you determine what exactly needs to be done.