Thread: Mac OS X + Compiz and Ubuntu

Beans

Mac OS X + Compiz and Ubuntu

I am curious about buying a Mac I was previously checking out a 13 inch Macbook Pro on the Apple website. The downside is it's running on a dual-core processor.

The Macbook Pro currently runs on an Intel Graphics 3000 HD card. By any chance is this card capable of running Unity3D and Compiz at all or not?

Seeing as I want to dual-boot Ubuntu on the Mac and I wanted to get it for it's portability and 7 hour battery life. Trying to get the best of both worlds.

Thank you all for your time.
    Last edited by MckayKnight; March 9th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

Re: Mac OS X + Compiz and Ubuntu

Ya that graphics card works fine, but am getting close to 3hr battery life.

Beans

3hrs battery life is better than 2hrs and 30 minutes at best. It's 30 minutes more.

Awesome so it works fine on that card I'll definitely think about purchasing it.

One last question when you installed Ubuntu did you have to find the driver or was the driver already built right into the kernel?

Beans

No issues with video driver. You will install wireless after you complete ubuntu installation. So be prepared to connect to internet for first few minutes using LAN.

Had screen going dim issue, but once I updated fully there are no issues.

Beans

Remember that the power savings ability which contributes to longer battery runtime includes some proprietary stuff in various OS subsystems, and sometimes installing Linux on Apple-produced hardware results in less optimal runtimes because of the inability to properly address those things.

Beans

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a MacBook Pro. I installed the nvidia graphics driver and enabled extra visual effects (I like my jiggly windows) without any noticeable problems.

Beans

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the feedback on the graphics card.