Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I find my Thunderbird profile manager in Ubuntu 11.10?

How do I find my Thunderbird profile manager in Ubuntu 11.10?

I have searched forums and google and tried everything I've seen. I cannot find the hidden files etc. Do I need to search for this using a terminal? I am a beginner but have tried everything and taught myself how to do what I do not know. What I've read seems to apply to earlier versions of Ubuntu. I am working on a new computer and my reason for searching is to install my thunderbird mail file from my old computer to my new one. My old one was Windows and I'm using Linux on the new one. If there is a workaround I'm happy to try it other than finding profile manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I find my Thunderbird profile manager in Ubuntu 11.10?

I don't use Thunderbird, but if you go to your home folder and press ctrl+h, I believe the folder will be something like "~/.mozilla-thunderbird[name]".

After you're finished, press ctrl+h again.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10, and my folder is called ~/.thunderbird. Just to make what Jon said clear, he's talking about pressing Ctrl+H in Nautilus, the file manager, not in the terminal. In Nautilus, Ctrl+H toggles showing hidden files and folders. Your .thunderbird folder is in your user's /home folder.

But if you actually want to access Thunderbird's profile manager app, like your title suggests, then open a terminal, and type:
    Code:
    thunderbird -p
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

View > show hidden will also work .
    my reason for searching is to install my Thunderbird mail file from my old computer to my new one. My old one was Windows and I'm using Linux on the new one. If there is a workaround I'm happy to try it other than finding profile manager.
    The import option works with other programs not files .
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 9th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

It's also worth noting that there may be some (easily solved) problems initially when you move the profile due to thunderbird on Windows using the windows directory structure. If that happens, just post in this thread and I'm sure it can be fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I used to share my Thunderbird profile with XP but I moved it to a shared NTFS partition. I also copy my profile from my desktop to my laptop when we travel.

This is where my profile is:
    /home/fred/.thunderbird

The profile is XXXXXX.default and profile.ini controls which & where the profile is.

I install Thunderbird and load it once. It creates a new profile. I then copy my profile to it and edit profile.ini to use the older profile.

Update to tb3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349889
    new
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
    http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

I have my thunderbird and firefox profiles in a shared NTFS partition. Over time I learned that for Firefox it is best to have separate profiles for Linux and Windows. Thunderbird seems to show no ill effects of sharing the profile between Windows & Linux. doing this will allow you to simply choose the profile to use on any OS or new install. Of course the profile won't be in your /home folder which in my opinion is an advantage. You just need to make sure your partition containing the mozilla profiles is mounted prior to running firefox or thunderbird.

To set which profile to use from Linux open a terminal and run
    Code:
    firefox -P
    and
    Code:
    thunderbird -profilemanager
    follow the prompts to select your profile folder.

From windows use the run dialogue to run
    Code:
    firefox.exe -profilemanager
    for thunderbird simply substitute thunderbird for firefox in the run dialgue command.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Thank you all so much for your help. Ctl + H was the easiest and solved how to find my profile manager.

I now have a new problem related to my profile. Not sure if I need to start a new thread, and again, I searched for solutions before posting and tried to solve with what I read.

Problem: After finding my profile I copied my thunderbird profile from my old windows computer. I replaced my files by simply deleting the original profiles.ini file & xxxxxx.default folder (I do not need any data from the new thunderbird as I have only loaded it - not used it for mail as yet). Then copied across my profiles.ini file and xxxxx.default folder.

Trying to open thunderbird I got the error: "Thunderbird is already running, but not responding. To open a new window you must close the existing thunderbird process, or restart your system"

I restarted - didn't work
    I made sure beforehand and again after this error that I had quit Thunderbird properly and ran $ps ux in the terminal to make sure the application wasn't still running

I then changed my default folder to match in name the exact name as the one I deleted. I also changed the path in the profiles.ini file to match.

Still no solve

Then I changed the path in profiles.ini from Profiles/xxxxxx.default to Home/.thunderbird/xxxxxx.default.

Is it clear to anyone what I'm doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I install Thunderbird and load it once. It creates a new profile. I then copy my profile to it and edit profile.ini to use the older profile.
    This sounds like what I did. How exactly did you edit profile ini. ?

Mine reads:
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Home/.thunderbird/xxxxxx.default (I changed it from Profiles/xxxxx.default - which also didn't work)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bigfisheatslittlefish View Post
    Thank you all so much for your help. Ctl + H was the easiest and solved how to find my profile manager.

I now have a new problem related to my profile. Not sure if I need to start a new thread, and again, I searched for solutions before posting and tried to solve with what I read.

Problem: After finding my profile I copied my thunderbird profile from my old windows computer. I replaced my files by simply deleting the original profiles.ini file & xxxxxx.default folder (I do not need any data from the new thunderbird as I have only loaded it - not used it for mail as yet). Then copied across my profiles.ini file and xxxxx.default folder.

Trying to open thunderbird I got the error: "Thunderbird is already running, but not responding. To open a new window you must close the existing thunderbird process, or restart your system"

I restarted - didn't work
    I made sure beforehand and again after this error that I had quit Thunderbird properly and ran $ps ux in the terminal to make sure the application wasn't still running

I then changed my default folder to match in name the exact name as the one I deleted. I also changed the path in the profiles.ini file to match.

Still no solve

Then I changed the path in profiles.ini from Profiles/xxxxxx.default to Home/.thunderbird/xxxxxx.default.

Is it clear to anyone what I'm doing wrong?
    open a terminal and run
    Code:
    thunderbird -profilemanager
    Choose create profile. Choose next. Enter profile name and then click choose folder. Now select your profile folder, if there is another profile already delete it after creating the new one but select to not delete files when prompted with a choice and next click finish. You should be OK after this.

P.S. I just copy the profile folder over without inserting it into the existing profile folder. You don't have to edit those files if you use the thunderbird -profilemanager command as it does all the editing for you when you select a profile.
    Last edited by presence1960; March 12th, 2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: add P.S.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast