Thread: Running 10.04: upgrade now or wait a month?

Beans

Running 10.04: upgrade now or wait a month?

I am running 10.04 and it has recently occurred to me that it would probably be good to upgrade. Nothing in particular is broken, although it would be nice to upgrade Firefox past version 3.

At this point though, should I just wait until 12.04 LTS comes out? I am already on an LTS version and I read in another forum that the direct 10.04 -> 12.04 upgrade will work more or less "automatically" when it does come out.

Is this true? Presently my update manager only gives me an option to upgrade to 10.10, which leads me to believe I'm in for a long haul of updating 10.10 - 11.04 - 11.10 before I can finally get the new LTS version.

If I just wait at this point, will it be lots easier?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Running 10.04: upgrade now or wait a month?

Hi rkent.

My main desktop computer is running 10.04. Personally, I'm not upgrading to a newer version, because I decided to wait for 12.04.

I also have a laptop that I usually take a little more risks with it. Right now it's running 11.04. I reverted from 11.10 because it was too buggy for me.

If you do important work on your machine I would say: "wait for it".

Just my thoughts.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I agree with papibe's statements, and would add that by upgrading so close to the next release, you would be using a lot more bandwidth and time, because many packages would likely have to be updated once per upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Presently my update manager only gives me an option to upgrade to 10.10, which leads me to believe I'm in for a long haul of updating 10.10 - 11.04 - 11.10 before I can finally get the new LTS version.
    This is a very messy way to get the new version--all those packages...some users have problems doing this. Upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS is cleaner.

Also, if you upgrade to 12.04 immediately there will be bugs to iron out. I understand the impatience but waiting a few weeks is safer.

I'm not patient or safety minded though and already have 12.04 installed. lol It depends on what you do with your computer I guess. I've had no issues yet, so apparently the bugs are getting zapped as they appear.

My daily updating is done by terminal, not update manager.
    Last edited by critin; March 9th, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!

When it comes out an upgrade from 10o4 to 12o4 will be offered. But 10o4 is based on gnome2 and 12o4 is based on gnome3. A fresh install could save you some headaches.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9