Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Advantages to Ubuntu?

Beans

Any Advantages to Ubuntu?

I have installed Ubuntu to learn about it. For me, it is just a hobby and I am hoping will yield basic skills that hiring managers want. (I am interested in web development.) Other than the fact that Ubuntu is free, what are the advantages to using it? What is the point?

Do more games play on it? Is it better for graphics? Does the fact that it is open source mean that there is transparency and corporations can not sneak tracking software into it? Is it a rebellion against capitalism or a protest to corporate corruption? Is it only better for computer programmers and those who wish to run a server?

With Firefox and Chrome, I can see source codes of a particular web page section just by highlighting and right-clicking. I have more power for development and can search more efficiently. In a similar sense, is there an analogy between Firefox vs Internet Explorer and Ubuntu vs Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Any Advantages to Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is not in a war with anybody.

This is why there is a Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    >>>>
    The truth! A lot of the people here on these forums (including me) considers this stuff a hobby.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ubunt10 View Post
    I have installed Ubuntu to learn about it. For me, it is just a hobby and I am hoping will yield basic skills that hiring managers want. (I am interested in web development.) Other than the fact that Ubuntu is free, what are the advantages to using it? What is the point?

Do more games play on it? Is it better for graphics? Does the fact that it is open source mean that there is transparency and corporations can not sneak tracking software into it? Is it a rebellion against capitalism or a protest to corporate corruption? Is it only better for computer programmers and those who wish to run a server?

With Firefox and Chrome, I can see source codes of a particular web page section just by highlighting and right-clicking. I have more power for development and can search more efficiently. In a similar sense, is there an analogy between Firefox vs Internet Explorer and Ubuntu vs Windows?
    Google the question for many more. Governments, DOD for instance.

http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linux2.html

You've answered your own question about the advantages.

Other than the fact that Ubuntu is free, what are the advantages to using it? What is the point?
    to learn about it
    gain skills...deflect boredom while having fun.
    Last edited by critin; March 8th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Also read this - old but good.

EDIT: And that was 7 years ago...
    Last edited by TeoBigusGeekus; March 8th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Also read this - old but good.
    Enjoyed the read, thanks...
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You had me at FREE...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    >>>>
    Exactly, I also do it because it is a huge amount of fun .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

I use it because a friend showed me it and I figured it was time to diversify and learn mac, linux & windows.

In the end I found I liked using my computer with Linux on it.

It's not a hobby or anything to me. An operating is a tool for productivity and Linux serves this need a bit like all cars have 4 wheels and an engine so why not everyone use the same car?

Mines blue because I like blue and it has a small engine because I don't have a tun of money and it's small because I don't need loads of stuff with me every day. Every car works the same though. They all look and feel a bit different and their controls are sometimes where you would least expect them. An operating system is no different.

I use the forums now and again because it's interesting to see how new users are adapting and whether they are having the same thought process as I was.

Know that I have liked and hated Linux in equal measure. I have vowed never to use it again and happily used Windows for a time. Though here I am, I find myself selling my windows computer and going towards the mobile market. Linux will serve the laptop now.

I shall, however use the operating system that works best for me or comes with supplied hardware. Do I love Linux? No. It is just a tool just like I don't love my car even though I have to protect it like I love it.

To that end I love people. Linux is a community of people and that is what I love.
    Last edited by JayKay3OOO; March 8th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast