Thread: Finding an open soruce project

Beans

Lightbulb Finding an open soruce project

Hello,

I'm looking for an open source application to contribute to. I'm sure this has been asked before.

I've found the project ThinkUp: http://www.thinkupapp.com/

There are 800+ people on the mailing list. Is this a suitable project for a beginner?

Is mailing list size a good indicator of project support and/or complexity? Should I look for a smaller project?

Any suggestions of good blog posts on how to get started with open source?

I am very new to open source development; I have a lot to learn: so much that I don't know how to express my questions correctly (please excuse my ignorance).

I look forward to learning all that I can.

Thank you,
    Dado

Edit: my OS of choice is Ubuntu and I'd like to learn to use open source tools: Maven/Ant, Bash, Vim, etc. One step at a time though.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Finding an open soruce project

There are also plenty of projects you could join in Launchpad.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    There are also plenty of projects you could join in Launchpad.
    I will check it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dadoprso: Not wishing to sound negative but there is a great difference between simply using an existing application and developing one!

If you wish to move into application development then I suggest you start by thoroughly learning all the tools you will need to use. This means that you first become a competent user, learning how to configure and use the OS and its many applications effectively. Although possibly not essential, I suggest you will also need to have a good working knowledge of terminal commands and tools.

Armed with these skills, I am sure that project development teams will then welcome your assistance.

In the meantime, you could assist users on these, and other, forums. Expert knowledge is always welcome here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    dadoprso: Not wishing to sound negative but there is a great difference between simply using an existing application and developing one!

If you wish to move into application development then I suggest you start by thoroughly learning all the tools you will need to use. This means that you first become a competent user, learning how to configure and use the OS and its many applications effectively. Although possibly not essential, I suggest you will also need to have a good working knowledge of terminal commands and tools.

Armed with these skills, I am sure that project development teams will then welcome your assistance.

In the meantime, you could assist users on these, and other, forums. Expert knowledge is always welcome here.
    I know. I develop in Java at work: using spring, maven, etc. I have good people around me as well.

I will need to learn the terminal commands, but I'm willing to put in the work.