Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu without Unity

Beans

Ubuntu without Unity

Is there a distribution of Ubuntu with Gnome (like previous versions) but without the mandatory Unity interface?

I don't have a touch monitor so Unity serves me no usefull purpose. I don't think it is particularly attractive nor does it add anything to (in fact it hinders) the experiecnce on a machine without touchscreen, not to mention the extra unneccessary resource overhead. I also don't want to have to uninstall it every time I install or upgrade Ubuntu when it could have been provided as an option and I think the way it leaves the interface selection drop down box behind even after it has been (mostly) removed is untidy.

I am considering Lubuntu (or possibly Xubuntu), but Ubuntu 9 and 10 were just fine before Unity so I was hoping there is a distro that maintains the original Gnome configuration.

PS, also since I have a nice new motherboard and Intel i3 processor in my machine, should I use a 64 bit version? Some threads suggest that there is a performance benefit, but the 32bit version is 'recommended' on the Ubuntu download page.
    Last edited by Meadow of Flowers; March 7th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu without Unity

You can select Gnome 3 and configure that instead of the 'vanilla' Unity DE. But I think that [KXL]ubuntu are worth testing from a live CD or USB drive before deciding what to install. And wait until the LTS version is official (and maybe another month to get rid of the worst bugs

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have a look at this thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859960

Hope this helps

Beans

Thanks winh8r. I had a look at that with interest, including the linked walkthrough page at http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/08/...-ubuntu-11-10/

Its obvious from the screenshots that this doesn't remove Unity as its still available as an installed option that is presumably consuming resources, although it does at least add Gnome classic back to the available options. I would have preferred not have had it installed in the first place. However even with this approach the appear to be caveats:

Also note: In order to make changes to the panel settings, you have to use alt+right click, instead of just a regular right click.
    So it seems that in order to 'encourage' us to use Unity, the folk at Canonical are now resorting to making the original classic environment less comfortable to use. I can accept that Unity may be the future of Ubuntu when touchscreens become mainstream. But the problem is that Unity is being foisted on a loyal user base far too soon when most users will not yet have the hardware to make the most of it. It clearly should be an OPTION or maybe enabled only when you have the appropriate touch screen equipment available, not a mandatory upgrade regardless of whether the computer it is being installed on supports it properly or not. Canonicals position is unfortunate as like a number of others (if the forums are anything to go by), I am forced to consider ditching the mainstream Ubuntu and using another distro.

Beans

PS. Does anyone know how long 10.10 LTS will be supported for? Just noticed it is still a downoad option.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow of Flowers View Post
    PS. Does anyone know how long 10.10 LTS will be supported for? Just noticed it is still a downoad option.
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be supported until April 2013. Ubuntu 10.10 support expires this coming April.

PS - As a side note, a lot of changes to Ubuntu has nothing to do with Unity but the fact that Gnome 2 has been replaced by Gnome 3 (by the Gnome Foundation) and things like the changes to the classic mode has nothing to do with Ubuntu or Canonical.
    Last edited by not found; March 8th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be supported until April 2013. Ubuntu 10.10 support expires this coming April.

PS - As a side note, a lot of change to Ubuntu has nothing to do with Unity but the fact that Gnome 2 has been replaced by Gnome 3 (by the Gnome Foundation) and things like the changes to the classic mode has nothing to do with Ubuntu or Canonical.
    I too am looking for a simple update experience without the Unity problems that saw me get rid of my last computer (an old one I thought had expired with an upgrade that borked all my video drivers.)

Ubuntu has just told me my present version (presumably 10.04 ) has expired and that no new upgrades to that are available.

Can I just download the 10.10 until there is another Gnome Ububntu available?

TIA.

Mike.

Edit:

It is fairly easy to get back to the 'classic' gnome desktop as opposed to Unity.

You can just run this in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Reboot and then select "Gnome Classic" on the login screen.

Not if the screen won't light up. I had the problem with a computer magazine free disk. So I am not blaming anyone and certainly no one at Canonical.
    Last edited by Weatherlawyer; April 11th, 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Refrence a link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherlawyer View Post
    I too am looking for a simple update experience without the Unity problems that saw me get rid of my last computer (an old one I thought had expired with an upgrade that borked all my video drivers.)

Ubuntu has just told me my present version (presumably 10.04 ) has expired and that no new upgrades to that are available.

Can I just download the 10.10 until there is another Gnome Ububntu available?

TIA.

Mike.

Edit:

It is fairly easy to get back to the 'classic' gnome desktop as opposed to Unity.

You can just run this in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Reboot and then select "Gnome Classic" on the login screen.

Not if the screen won't light up. I had the problem with a computer magazine free disk. So I am not blaming anyone and certainly no one at Canonical.
    Support for Ubuntu 10.10 has been dropped on April 10, while Ubuntu 10.04 will be supported until April 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ick_Meerkat.29

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks to Gnome 3, I discover Xubuntu / xfce.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Support for Ubuntu 10.10 has been dropped on April 10, while Ubuntu 10.04 will be supported until April 2013.
    It sounds daft that an .04 is supported beyond a .1.

This machine should cope with a later upgrade but I just didn't like the Unity interface. I found it a nuisance. maybe I will try the 12.0 when it is stable.

Thanks for the prompt help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuriano View Post
    Thanks to Gnome 3, I discover Xubuntu / xfce.
    I had a version of Ultimate Edition on another hard drive ages ago. I REALLY liked that. I'll take a look a Xubuntu first. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast