Thread: Sony Vaio VAIO VPCEG1BFX/W Atheros AR9285 Ubuntu 11.10 Wireless Driver Issue

Beans

Sony Vaio VAIO VPCEG1BFX/W Atheros AR9285 Ubuntu 11.10 Wireless Driver Issue

So I installed Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit on my Sony Vaio laptop and I have no wireless driver. If I click enable wireless under the network icon, it just won't do it. No matter how many times I click it. Is anyone else having this issue? My wireless worked fine on WIndows 7. I need to get this wireless driver going or Ubuntu is useless for my laptop. Thanks, any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Sony Vaio VAIO VPCEG1BFX/W Atheros AR9285 Ubuntu 11.10 Wireless Driver Issue

See this:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/67437...atheros-ar9285
    Let us know if you need further assistance beyond that.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Re: Sony Vaio VAIO VPCEG1BFX/W Atheros AR9285 Ubuntu 11.10 Wireless Driver Issue

I'm having the same issue and blacklisting has not worked for me. I'm running an asus k53ta and had to install using the alternate disk. When I click on connections it says "device not managed", I can however connect to my home network (even though it says I'm not) because this was the network used during the installation. I cannot connect to any other networks however. Do you have any other ideas about this issue?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by connor111 View Post
    I'm having the same issue and blacklisting has not worked for me. I'm running an asus k53ta and had to install using the alternate disk. When I click on connections it says "device not managed", I can however connect to my home network (even though it says I'm not) because this was the network used during the installation. I cannot connect to any other networks however. Do you have any other ideas about this issue?
    This chipset definitely works. I used it the other day without an issue. It sounds like a problem specific to your setup.

When you edited the black list file what did you put in it?
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf This:

blacklist acer_wmi
    is probably not correct for your laptop. My guess is you probably need to do:

blacklist asus_wmi

Also make sure you are editing the right file and doing so with administrator permissions. It might be the file was not actually saved and you missed the error indicating this.

Run the following from the terminal:

gksu gedit
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Beans

I'm having the same problems. I've tried the above with no luck.

when I run rfkill list nothing is blocked yet my wireless still does not work.