Thread: Generating installation CD w/up-to-date patches?

Beans

Question Generating installation CD w/up-to-date patches?

I have a catch 22. After installing Ubuntu, I'm not allowed to connect that computer to any network at all until it passes a vulnerability scan from a 3rd-party tool.

My current solution, which I don't like, is this:
    (1) Do the scan, get the report. If there are any vulneratibilities:
    (2) Guess at which packages I'll need to update to make satisfy the reported vulnerabilities.
    (3) On another computer, download the packages I think I need from Ubuntu's repositories, and burn them to a CD.
    (4) Install those new packages from the CD onto the computer I'm setting up. GOTO (1)

This process would get a lot easier if I could efficiently update the packages on the newly-configured computer to what's currently present in Ubuntu's repositories. Getting up-to-date with the repositories generally addresses 90% of the reported vulnerabilities.

Does anyone know how I can get a Ubuntu installation CD/DVD whose packages have already been updated to reflect the most recent security fixes that are present in the repositories?

Or, alternatively, is there a tool I can use to take stock of the packages (and versions) installed on one computer, and ultimately have a DVD that contains every new/updated package needed to bring that computer up-to-date with respect to the current Ubuntu repositories?
    Last edited by christian.convey; March 6th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Generating installation CD w/up-to-date patches?

Have you looked into checking out remastersys? It can create a custom livecd. Not sure if you can install from it tho.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Generating installation CD w/up-to-date patches?

Check out Keryx for installing and updating packages on an offline computer.

http://keryxproject.org/
    Cheesemill