Thread: Could 11.10 get any worse?

Beans

Could 11.10 get any worse?

Been using 11.10 for a couple of weeks. Man it sucks. Just installed a game and can't remember the name of it, just that it came up when I searched for asteroids. Now I can't find it anywhere. How many other apps are installed that I'll never find cuz I don't the name of them? Fail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Could 11.10 get any worse?

wait for 12.04...

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you type "games" into the search box on the dash you will see where the games are and the one you installed will be there.

If you do not like using Unity look here :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859960

or here:

http://mate-desktop.org/

Another way to find out what is installed and what is not is to go to the Ubuntu Software Centre and there you will see what is currently installed on your system and what is not.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Would you not have the same issue in any other desktop/OS, if you forgot the name of a program you installed?

Have you ever used any other desktop/OS that you felt handled this better? Perhaps knowing that, someone might be able to suggest something that meets your needs better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you want something like the classic Gnome2 menu in Unity have a look at ClassicMenu Indicator
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Hmmm...what would be nice (I think for any OS) would be to have a 'recently installed' menu. Especially nice if the user could set what time window 'recent' is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Hmmm...what would be nice (I think for any OS) would be to have a 'recently installed' menu. Especially nice if the user could set what time window 'recent' is.
    You can with synaptic. Just look in history. Is sorted by date installed. Most recent first. Not sure if software center has something similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Actually, after years of using Ubuntu, I'm sort of losing it. There are daemons running in the background that destroy performance; Unity is incomprehensible; KDE is full of things that get in the way; synaptic has suddenly stopped working for no reason I can understand; and brilliant computer scientists keep on making everything easier to use with bigger icons. Less used to be more, but that concept seems to have been buried under a tide of creativity.

Sorry to rant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I understand your rant. I tried the Unity releases of Ubuntu for a short time as well and they were only problematic for me, especially getting my ATi video card to work.

And besides the excessive simplicity of Unity, I also missed the easy way to edit "menu items," with the menu editor. I do it all the time to add applications in Gnome 2.

If you don't like some of the newer interfaces you could either stay with 10.10 like I have, or try something like Xubuntu or Lubuntu, more lightweight desktop environments which also happen to be more GNOME2-like. They'll run very fast on new computers and acceptably on really old ones as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by hamiljf View Post
    Sorry to rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdea73 View Post
    I understand your rant.
    This is a support section of the forums and not the place for debate. Since the OP appears not to have logged in since starting this thread and since the thread title simply encourages ranting and debate, I'm closing this now.

@OP, if you do want help with the issues you describe, please start a new support thread, but without a provocative title.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.