Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: firewall in ubuntu

Beans

Re: firewall in ubuntu

Thank you all for your replies
    MS daisy I know I could have downloaded a ISO file but I decided to buy helps towards making Ubuntu better and saves me a lot of hassle loll.
    I have had problems trying to download avast today tried to install and got error
    so I tried again and I got all this script a full page of it on my screen so I quickly came out of the browser, I need to scan my PC as I use an external drive and usb sticks in windows and I don't want to infect the other PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not entirely sure from your post - but I want to be clear that you do not need an anti-virus for you Ubuntu computer. Some may argue with this, but it is my opinion that if you observe safe Internet browsing practices and employ common sense, there is no need for one. Just my opinion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Diametric View Post
    I'm not entirely sure from your post - but I want to be clear that you do not need an anti-virus for you Ubuntu computer. Some may argue with this, but it is my opinion that if you observe safe Internet browsing practices and employ common sense, there is no need for one. Just my opinion.
    I would say it was pretty clear from what was said

I need to scan my PC as I use an external drive and usb sticks in windows and I don't want to infect the other PC
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How does your reply remain on topic or contribute to the OP's issue in any way? The post wasn't clear to me - it still isn't, regardless of you reposting a portion of it. Let's try and keep this constructive.

My reply, if not originally clear, was made to inform the new Ubuntu user that Anti virus is not needed on an Ubuntu install - in my opinion. She may need it for her MS machine(s) but not with a Linux OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Diametric View Post
    How does your reply remain on topic or contribute to the OP's issue in any way? The post wasn't clear to me - it still isn't, regardless of you reposting a portion of it. Let's try and keep this constructive.

My reply, if not originally clear, was made to inform the new Ubuntu user that Anti virus is not needed on an Ubuntu install - in my opinion. She may need it for her MS machine(s) but not with a Linux OS.
    I never meant to cause you distress, your OP mentioned it was not clear to you so i pointed it out.

it is on topic because it never left and shows the part where the OP shows that they want to scan files for use on windows hence the need for AV which is the reason why people use AV in Linux for the most part.

The OP asked about use of AV on her Ubuntu install due to file sharing with windows.

To the OP, the firewall questions have been addressed above and as for AV, then most people tend to use clamAV for scanning for infected files for sharing with windows and it is in the software centre or post your Avast issues here for further help.

Cheers
    Last edited by haqking; March 6th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Diametric, perhaps your lack of clarity comes from this: AVs nearly all scan for Windows viruses, so running an AV on Linux to detect Linux viruses isn't very useful or effective. Often it results in false positives.

However

Protecting files on Linux that are shared with Windows seems to be a pretty common reason for running an AV on Ubuntu. See here for some other reasons, (also quoted below):

• to scan a Windows drive in your PC
    • to scan a Windows-based network attached server or hard drive
    • to scan Windows machines over a network
    • to scan files you are going to send to other people
    • to scan e-mail you are going to forward to other people
    • some Windows viruses can run with Wine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

haqking and Ms. Daisy covered tbe AV angles pretty thoroughly. I use BitDefender instead of clamVM (too many false positives) or avast (never used it) when I am scanning files that are being shared with windows.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12