Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 12.04 issues with wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

ubuntu 12.04 issues with wireless

ive been running the kubuntu 12.04 for a while and have had no issues getting my b43 installed.when i tried the ubuntu 12.04 beta unity i have been getting nothing but headaches.the firmware-b43-installer doesnt work and when i googled it i found this:
    http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...-b43-installer

but it doesnt work?ive been stumped on it.i just want to see the new highlights of ubuntu 12.04.
    as ive said ive been running kubuntu12.04 and it is very stable.
    if anyone can help me install the b43 firmware i'd appreciate it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: ubuntu 12.04 issues with wireless

Hello, when you say it doesn't work is your wireless card detected at all?
    I have an old Leovo laptop with a b43 chip running 11.10, the card wasn't detected at all, even though the driver was installed, I found the fix for this problem here https://nfolamp.wordpress.com/2011/1...m4311-working/

turns out the wrong driver was being installed.

it is strange that it worked in Kubuntu 12.04 and not Ubuntu 12.04 though
    really they are the same system apart from the desktops I would have thought...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    ~ Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Imagination is the key to Success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu 12.04 issues with wireless

Thread moved to Ubuntu +1 (Precise Pangolin).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

the problem is right ther when i put in terminal:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

i ran that after running a sudo update and it says it cant find the package i get errors.
    and yes they are the same distro thats what i am so confused about.
    any other solutions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the exact same problem. I have a MacBook Pro 8,1 Late-2011 that has the Broadcom BCM4331 wireless card and tried Ubuntu 12.04 x86-64 beta-1 in Live USB.

The Network applet in the top panel says

"Wireless Networks
    device not ready (firmware missing)"

Code:
    lsmod | grep b43
    #Output:
    b43
    mac80211
    cfg80211
    ssb
    bcma
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf has "blacklist bcm43xx" although
    Code:
    modprobe bcm43xx
    says "FATAL: Module bcm43xx not found."

Code:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    says unable to locate package.

Very frustrating that everything EXCEPT wireless works out of the box on my MacBook - touchpad with gestures, keyboard hotkeys, awesome battery life! Especially when linux kernel 3.2 supposedly added support for BCM4331.
    Acer-AOD250 N280-1.66GHz 1GB-DDR2-533 160GB-HDD Ubuntu-10.04 x86
    Intel-D946GZIS E6300-1.86GHz 2x2GB-DDR2-667-DualChan 160GB-HDD LinuxMint-11 x86-64
    None of us were born knowing to use Windows. We just got used to it - unfortunately!

Beans

The same for me: absolutely frustrated after many trials. I just got it once miraculosly working after patching (with message errors)+ updating ... and working suddenly. But system crashed afterwards , corrupted and I had to reinstall ... no more chances

Any help will be very welcome

Beans

Hi.

I can confirm that the following works on a Macbook Pro 8,1:

http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c705283/..._81/index.html

Beans

It worked!!!. I had tried several times exactly the same recipe and it didn't work. Don't ask me why it worked just now! But I had to use the bleeding edge driver. compat-wireless-2011-10-09 gave many errors at compilation. I used compat-wireless-2012-03-18 and wireless worked like a charm (I'm now using it, as readily and happily unplugged the ethernet cable).

Now I'm afraid to make an update which probably will force me to recompile with the new kernel headers..I'll wait several days until stable distribution.

Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Excellent. It worked! Damn complicated, if you ask me. This should be much easier. As I extracted using the archiver, I had to backtrack, and do it again by hand, as the command line instructions assume you are in certain directories at certain times.

Why is this so hard on the mac? Even getting ubuntu to install on a macbook pro 8,1 takes a cd AND a usb. That's the only thing that works as far as I know.. But that's off topic, I know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by josemanuel View Post
    It worked!!!. I had tried several times exactly the same recipe and it didn't work. Don't ask me why it worked just now! But I had to use the bleeding edge driver. compat-wireless-2011-10-09 gave many errors at compilation. I used compat-wireless-2012-03-18 and wireless worked like a charm (I'm now using it, as readily and happily unplugged the ethernet cable).

Now I'm afraid to make an update which probably will force me to recompile with the new kernel headers..I'll wait several days until stable distribution.

Many thanks
    I hope you documented your problem, and created a bug report, as that's what we are here for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast