Thread: install local non-root postgresql?

Beans

install local non-root postgresql?

Hi there,

I think this would be the appropriate place to post. I'm trying to install afanasy, a render queue manager, and it requires postgresql (I get afserver: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory).

I don't have root access to the machine I'm on, and I've tried to find a way to install it locally to my home directory, but I can't figure it out and have not been able to find any leads on google or forums. I don't have a lot of experience making things from source (I've done it, but when it doesn't work i'm clueless as to how to fix errors...), so would prefer a binary or something simple that I can point afanasy to.

Is this impossible or standard fare? I'm pretty lost, so thanks for any help!

z

amd64 10.04.3 LTS

Beans

Re: install local non-root postgresql?

ok, I found this helpful page. It seems simple enough to install with dpkg, but how do I easily resolve all the dependencies? I found a ppa here, do I just download all the relevant debs for my distro and run dpkg on them? seems kludgy...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

dpkg doesn't handle dependencies - only apt, aptitude and/or synaptic can mange that for you. If you cannot use these tools because you're not root, you may have to install the dependencies manually.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If this is in an enterprise, make a request for the administrator to bring in the dependencies. If it's necessary then I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. Anything other than what the system owner allows gets awfully close to circumvention of controls, and in order to follow the rules here we can't really advise on how to do that.

Beans

install local non root postgresql

Ok, I downloaded it again from scratch and the install went fine. I completed ./configure ./make and ./make install with no errors. Now I just need to figure out how to run it. I tried commands like this and got nothing...

Code:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    If this is in an enterprise, make a request for the administrator to bring in the dependencies. If it's necessary then I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. Anything other than what the system owner allows gets awfully close to circumvention of controls, and in order to follow the rules here we can't really advise on how to do that.
    fair enough. it is on my university workstation. it took them 2 months to let me know through their ticketing system that I could plug in my own US layout keyboard... so I think i'll just find another way.

thanks

Beans

Re: install local non root postgresql

By default "make install" will place the PG files in /usr/local/pgsql. However you need to be root to write into /usr/local so it's unlikely they've been placed there. See if you can determine where it put the "postmaster" binary and the pg_hba.conf file. Let's call these the "pgbin" and "pgdata" directories.

Now try creating the basic database with "/path/to/pgbin/initdb /path/to/pgdata". It might work or it might fail because it wants root privileges. If it works, you can try starting the server with "/path/to/pgbin/postmaster -p 5432 /path/to/pgdata".

I'll be surprised if you can get this stuff running without root privileges, though.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; March 21st, 2012 at 06:12 PM.