Thread: help with TP Link TL-WN821N USB connection

Hybrid View

Beans

help with TP Link TL-WN821N USB connection

I've just finished building my first ever machine using 11.10, and everything has gone swimmingly except for one small thing.

I'm using a TP link TL-WN821N USB dongle to connect to wifi, which connected to my network out of the box, however at seemingly random intervals it loses speed down to 1mb/s and then needs to be unplugged and plugged back in. it happens more frequently when streaming media.

Any tips to make it more stable? The driver is using is ath9k_htc.

Hope someone can help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: help with TP Link TL-WN821N USB connection

I had on and off luck with the TP usb too and ended up buying a TP-Link card which work much better. One thing you could take a look at is the channel which the Router is using. You could be competing with other routers around you. Try using a higher channel. You can find this setting in the router set up.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans

Thanks, although this didn't work.

Might have to follow your lead and purchase a card instead of using my spare parts, shame though as the usb stick worked brilliantly on other machines.

Thanks again!

Beans

So after doing some research I uninstalled network manger and installed WICD which has improved speed, and I thought until just now stability.

It seems it stays connected for longer but still drops out at random points.

Any takers?

Beans

I would really like an answer to the above problem aswell as I'm suffering from intermittent problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

put me down as another sufferer. Drops every so often and I have to unplug it and plug it into another (not the same) port. It's low-level annoying, but pretty annoying. I've lost phone calls and stuff. Any ideas welcome.