Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 switched from network manager to WICD and now all DNS resolution fails

Beans

Angry Ubuntu 10.10 switched from network manager to WICD and now all DNS resolution fails

Trying to post again....last time the post failed after a page long description

Network manager was getting on my nerves with either constantly connecting to a network or asking me to do so. I dont want to have to disable my wireless (i use 2 adapters) just to get it to shut up. So I decided to use WICD. I installed WICD and then later removed NM. Now i can connect wired or wireless and ping any valid ip (including the google dns servers I use) but no matter what dns I try to use with wicd or even letting dhcp auto configure it, I cannot get the machine to resolve hostnames. nslookup fails with a connection timout. I can't reinstall NM because without DNS the interwebs are effectively broken Any help is appreciated

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 switched from network manager to WICD and now all DNS resolution fai

Fixed
    sudo nano /etc/resolve.conf

#added

nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

Ctrl+O
    confirm write
    Go back into WICD disconnect....connect
    Working