Thread: Gnome Themes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome Themes

I know that many of us quickly get bored of Gnome's rather tiresome black bar and overall color scheme. In fact, Gnome's default color scheme looks downright awful with some programs.

So that's why I've decided to share with you lot a quick guide on how to install gnome-themes. Why? Because the default settings don't allow for much configuration, and installing themes can be quite un-intuitive for the average user.

First, you need to download a theme. I especially like the Gnome themes on DeviantArt; http://half-left.deviantart.com/art/...Orta-207047273 (Note: To download it, you must allow the site to run JavaScript). In the above example, we will be installing a theme called Orca.

Now, we need the Gnome tweak tool, which slightly confusingly is called "advanced settings" in the Ubuntu Software Center. Once you've installed that, open up your file manager, and extract the file from where you left it (probably in Downloads). Once you've extracted, open up advanced settings and go to Shell Extensions, and make sure User Shell Extensions is on. Now go to theme, and at "shell theme" click the folder icon to open up the file manager. Go to the folder that was extracted and select the .zip archive (the one that says gnome 3.2 on it). It should install the theme now. To turn it on, just select the drop-down menu right next to it and change it from "default" to whatever the theme you installed was called, in this case Orca.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 0011235813; March 3rd, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Gnome Themes

Hi!, 0011235813,

Thanks for sharing that Theme info.

How about Posting a ScreenShot so we can see the difference ??

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gnome Themes

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, 0011235813,

Thanks for sharing that Theme info.

How about Posting a ScreenShot so we can see the difference ??

Chao!, bogan.
    I've attached a screenshot to show the difference, it's really quite dramatic