Thread: Will LTSP work in Ubuntu Server 14.04

Beans

Question Will LTSP work in Ubuntu Server 11.10

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing a proper operating system environment for my office. I have about 120 windows users involved in basic office activities.

I have implemented LTSP in Ubuntu 8 in the past but had few glitches and spent a lot of time troubleshooting as we had different client hardware like laptops, desktops etc.

My question is will LTSP work in Ubuntu Server 14.04? If yes, how easy or tough is it configure different client hardware, drivers etc.

I am surprised LTSP is not mentioned in the list of features for Ubuntu Server in the website.

Thanks,
    Avinash
    Last edited by Avinash.Rao; March 3rd, 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Will LTSP work in Ubuntu Server 14.04

14.04 LTS!!! That will not be released until April 2014 and is a twinkle in the developer's eyes at the moment. Are you meaning 12.04 LTS??? That is out in a couple of months (late April 2012) ...

Can't help with your actual question but can say this: for production machines and a situation like yours stick with the LTS (long term support releases) as that's why they're there. The current (and if you need to start now, use it) is 10.04 LTS and the server version has five years support (until April 2015). It is rock solid.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; March 3rd, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

Beans

Re: Will LTSP work in Ubuntu Server 11.10

I am talking about LTSP - Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) and NOT LTS.
    Last edited by Avinash.Rao; March 3rd, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash.Rao View Post
    I am talking about LTSP - Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) and NOT LTS.
    Totally aware of that. 14.04 doesn't exist but it will be an LTS release when it does. You are misunderstanding me. Goodnight.

Beans

Re: Will LTSP work in Ubuntu Server 11.10

Oh.. My apologies for typing the wrong version.

Please read the version as Ubuntu Server Version 11.10
    Last edited by Avinash.Rao; March 3rd, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

Beans

Although I can't help you with the specifics, I can't see why ltsp would not be there in 11.10, (it is, of course, there! ) Have you checked out this link?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP
    Last edited by Exonimus; March 8th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Beans

And you'd probably be safer waiting for US12.04 as it is a LTS release and will be able to do LTSP.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans

Yes, I have seen this site before. My worry is that if getting LTSP to work is left the forums and other users, this creates a bigger doubt in the minds of administrators who are in the process of deciding the operating environment. Just a link to a documentation site and forums isn't really convincing to be able to make a crucial decision. And testing doesn't come easy either.. Migrating from windows to LTSP is not a minor thing! Which is why my question was why isn't it mentioned in the list of features? Has it been given the same importance as other modules! Is it easier to setup and make life easier for administrators.. these are questions that needs to be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Exonimus View Post
    Although I can't help you with the specifics, I can't see why ltsp would not be there in 11.10, (it is, of course, there! ) Have you checked out this link?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Avinash.Rao View Post
    My worry is that if getting LTSP to work is left the forums and other users, this creates a bigger doubt in the minds of administrators who are in the process of deciding the operating environment. Just a link to a documentation site and forums isn't really convincing to be able to make a crucial decision.
    If it helps convince the "powers that be" that Ubuntu is the real deal, paid "enterprise" support is available: http://www.ubuntu.com/business/services/overview

Beans

Avinash, I understand your concern, and agree entirely. I'm not sure why LTSP has developed into this kind of 'bit part add on', rather being an integral and celebrated part of Ubuntu.

LTSP is obviously a wider concern than Ubuntu. It isn't developed by Ubuntu, but by a wider community. I guess that's why LTSP can't be guaranteed. It's part of Linux, and so Canonical cannot guarantee how it will be developed.

There is, though, no reason to think the worst; and it is very much an integral part of Edubuntu, if that's any reassurance...