Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost MythTV backend configuration

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mythbuntu Backend screwed!

Can you attach one of the backups that you did in the backup and restore utility (in the mythbuntu-control-centre)? It will have your mythtv password in there and likely your database, so if you would rather pm me or open a private bug on launchpad that is fine. It would help to look at it to figure out why it isn't being recognized. Is it throwing any errors?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    You don''t need to know perl to run a perl program, but you do need to be able to read the documentation, which is easy enough.

Have you read the user handbook in the wiki? If you find it is incomplete, you can add to it you know. Its a wiki after all.

People who don't contribute seem to moan the loudest.
    The user manual in the mythtv wiki does not mention the Mythbuntu Control Centre, let alone bare. To be able to maintain the wiki, non developers of the software do need decent release notes. The only notable thing about the MythTV/ Mythbuntu release notes is their absence. It looks like the team prefer to hide their light under a bucket!

Without blowing my own trumpet too loud, I probably contribute more than most to mythtv documentation on the Internet, read my blog and decide for yourself.

In my view, without published release notes, the wiki needs to be maintained by the developers of the software. My role is to take what is essentially a technical document (wiki) and make it readable for the masses. At present because the wiki is not being maintained properly and there is no documentation on how recent enhancements work (no proper release notes are issued with mythbuntu which might help form the basis of end user documentation) it would be dangerous to contribute to the wiki without basic background knowledge. Hence the blog. If this situation changed then I would be delighted in contribution to the wiki.

I've just finished writing a article on how to get bare installed correctly in 11.10. What's preventing me from publishing it is that bare does not work! I've now tested it on two Mythbuntu PCs with the same result.

I strongly believe that if someone has the time to write a program, then they also have the time to put together some technical documentation on how it works, even if it is just basic stuff.

In this case nothing is documented, not even an indication where the log files are kept. On this basis it was absolutely wrong for the Mythbuntu team to have changed backup and restore in the MCC, which did work (although again undocumented), for something which does not and is also absent of any documentation.

Beans

Ahh your rant is about the lack of mythbuntu documentation, not mythtv itself. I see now.

mythbuntu had quite a good install guide pdf but it got abandoned a while ago (guessing 3-4 ubuntu cycles at least).

But yes the stuff that mythbuntu adds like MCC, bare et al is poorly documented.

I am not sure of the need for bare when the mythtv guys provide such a good and well documented backup/restore utility.

By the way the mythtv (as opposed to mythbuntu) release notes are very thorough.

yes it can be a pain to go through the mythtv documentation, and the wiki manual, and the mailing list archives, and this forum , abd mythtvtalk, and more to figure out mythtv and then work out where the mythbuntu software fits in to the picture.

Frankly if you want a specific mythtv box, try LinHES.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Can you attach one of the backups that you did in the backup and restore utility (in the mythbuntu-control-centre)? It will have your mythtv password in there and likely your database, so if you would rather pm me or open a private bug on launchpad that is fine. It would help to look at it to figure out why it isn't being recognized. Is it throwing any errors?
    No problem, I've uploaded the file to Google docs as it is 11Mb in size, the forum limits uploads to 1mb.

I've also configured a second test Mythbuntu PC, same problems with getting bare working, which I've documented for a blog post (yet to be posted until I can get bare to work) as the fix is slightly different (it seems) for a new install. Bare fails to work on either PC and it might be due to bare not installing properly in the first place.

Also bare will not backup, although mythbuntu still seems to be running it's own backups on a weekly schedule. Not sure how this is still working as it was originally setup through the MCC, but at least it does work. This existing backup does not appear in the bare schedule (see screenshot attached), I assume it should be appearing.

The mythbuntu-bare.conf file looks like the following on my test box. The backup is being stored on a data drive, which is also where the recording are stored.

[General]
    serverip = 192.168.1.104
    serverport = 52392
    managed = True
    revision = 0
    serverstoragedir = /media/Data/mythtv/db_backup
    checksum = 0d4888de6f3be80b9c89dfa76a1bea864daff08d

[Backup]
    storagedir = /media/Data/mythtv/db_backup
    db = 1
    schedule = daily
    weekday = *
    day = *
    hour = 18
    minute = 00
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Ahh your rant is about the lack of mythbuntu documentation, not mythtv itself. I see now.

mythbuntu had quite a good install guide pdf but it got abandoned a while ago (guessing 3-4 ubuntu cycles at least).

But yes the stuff that mythbuntu adds like MCC, bare et al is poorly documented.
    MythTV is generally good, documentation could be more up to date. I did look at Linhes some years back when I was struggling to get mythbuntu working, at the time documentation on getting the UK EPG working was almost non-existent and pulling down the EPG via XMLTV was and still is a nightmare and as the EPG in the UK is so good a rather pointless exercise.

It was because of the pain I had with getting Mythbuntu up and running, I decided to start my linux blog.

Whilst the backup scripts are well documented, at a time of crisis when you just want to restore you backup, reading what is a technical manual for what should be a one-off exercise is not really the right way of doing things. Hence my desire to document and get bare working.

Furthermore, for the purpose of a basic restore, I fail to see why the simple restore process mentioned earlier in this post is not part of the wiki documentation i.e. simple backup and restore. I believe it used to be before it was replaced by the python script documentation.

Beans
    Distro

This is probably a better place to respond than that document.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to document this utility at all. Life happened and I wasn't even able to finish some of the features I had in mind (or the documentation). As I have a bit more time now I hope to get some of it documented.

There really was little changed between the 11.04 and 11.10 versions. The server portion was added, but doesn't need to be installed on each machine, it's a central management program and has zero to do with the actual backup and restore of the files (that is left to the client). That said, because I didn't get to finish portions of it and I don't really like how it works, I'll be hiding the functionality of that in the client for 12.04. The client however should work the same was as it has previously.

The scripts being not executable is an unfortunate bug. As I don't have the time to frequent the forums as much, and I don't see a bug filed at http://launchpad.net/mythbuntu I assumed it was working properly. This should also be resolved in a future build.

The file that you uploaded to google docs wasn't created using the backup and restore utility (it appears to have been created using the cmd line scripts provided by the mythtv team). That is why it doesn't recognize the backup file.

Beans

This is probably a better place to respond than that document.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to document this utility at all. Life happened and I wasn't even able to finish some of the features I had in mind (or the documentation). As I have a bit more time now I hope to get some of it documented.

There really was little changed between the 11.04 and 11.10 versions. The server portion was added, but doesn't need to be installed on each machine, it's a central management program and has zero to do with the actual backup and restore of the files (that is left to the client). That said, because I didn't get to finish portions of it and I don't really like how it works, I'll be hiding the functionality of that in the client for 12.04. The client however should work the same was as it has previously.

The scripts being not executable is an unfortunate bug. As I don't have the time to frequent the forums as much, and I don't see a bug filed at http://launchpad.net/mythbuntu I assumed it was working properly. This should also be resolved in a future build.

The file that you uploaded to google docs wasn't created using the backup and restore utility (it appears to have been created using the cmd line scripts provided by the mythtv team). That is why it doesn't recognize the backup file.
    Thomas, perhaps this would be a good opportunity to explain the difference between bare and the mythtv developers' script on the mythtv wiki.

Beans
    Distro

Thomas, perhaps this would be a good opportunity to explain the difference between bare and the mythtv developers' script on the mythtv wiki.
    Nick, you are probably correct.

The provided mythtv scripts backup the database only. There are no additional files backed up when using those scripts.

Mythbuntu bare backs up the database as well as some additional files. I'd have to look up the the list of files to be specific, but for instance it will also backup lirc conf files, mythtv conf files, etc. It does not backup media files though. To backup the database file, it does actually use the mythtv backup script. For the rest of the files, it just uses tar and gzip.

Beans

Nick, you are probably correct.

The provided mythtv scripts backup the database only. There are no additional files backed up when using those scripts.

Mythbuntu bare backs up the database as well as some additional files. I'd have to look up the the list of files to be specific, but for instance it will also backup lirc conf files, mythtv conf files, etc. It does not backup media files though. To backup the database file, it does actually use the mythtv backup script. For the rest of the files, it just uses tar and gzip.
    Thanks, those additions are probably worthwhile for a mythbuntu user, but will not be much use elsewhere as other distros handle lirc configuration differently.

And as for backing up media - you'd need a pretty big backup medium on most myth systems.

On that topic, have you thought about different default partitioning and file locations for mythbuntu systems?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ijumpship View Post
    When mine got screwed,I just paste this on the Wall,got drunk and I did not know what I did but it got restored
    LOL! That describes my 4 years of experience with MythTV/linux - I've done a lot by have no idea how I did it.

Except that I got a lot of advice from people who DID know what they were doing (thanks to them).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12