Thread: How to install Windows 7 inside Ubuntu

Beans

How to install Windows 7 inside Ubuntu

Hello, thanks to everyone who helps in this forum, I always find the right fix to my problems here.

I have Ubuntu 64bit 11.10 and I need to install Windows 7 inside. I want to keep ubuntu as my main operative system but need windows to run some softwares like iTunes.

I downloaded Oracle VM Virtualbox...

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to install Windows 7 inside Ubuntu

Well, create a virtual computer and boot from the W7 ISO. Do not hesitate to ask if you have a specific problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What Mike said. It was surprisingly easy to install VirtualBox on 11.10. The only thing that was mildly tricky was enabling USB ports on Win7. I don't recall the details but it was something about adding users to a certain group in 11.10. Other than that it was pretty straightforward and even with 11.10 AND Win7 running I was using less than 1 Gb. of RAM. One thing to check is to make sure visualization is enabled on your machine's BIOS. Some machines have a means to enable or disable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    What Mike said. It was surprisingly easy to install VirtualBox on 11.10. The only thing that was mildly tricky was enabling USB ports on Win7. I don't recall the details but it was something about adding users to a certain group in 11.10. Other than that it was pretty straightforward and even with 11.10 AND Win7 running I was using less than 1 Gb. of RAM. One thing to check is to make sure visualization is enabled on your machine's BIOS. Some machines have a means to enable or disable.
    Adding USB to virtual machines goes like this.

go to
    System > Administration > Users And Groups.

Then

Go To Manage Users

scroll down till you see

Vbox_users or anything to do with vbox.

click Properties.

Now Check The Box In The Bottom To enable USB support inside virtualBox.
    Linux Freedom

Beans

You need to add your username to a group called "vboxusers" to enable USB. I don't recall how, on Ubuntu, as I now use Fedora 16.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by enjoijesus94 View Post
    Adding USB to virtual machines goes like this.

go to
    System > Administration > Users And Groups.

Then

Go To Manage Users

scroll down till you see

Vbox_users or anything to do with vbox.

click Properties.

Now Check The Box In The Bottom To enable USB support inside virtualBox.
    But the newer Ubuntu distros have "users" not "users and groups". There's no way to join groups graphically as installed AFAIK, it must be done at the command line. There is, however, a fix. Install 'gnome-system-tools' from the repositories then look in applications. The old style Users & Groups should be there.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Originally Posted by kurt18947:
    But the newer Ubuntu distros have "users" not "users and groups". There's no way to join groups graphically as installed AFAIK, it must be done at the command line. There is, however, a fix. Install 'gnome-system-tools' from the repositories then look in applications. The old style Users & Groups should be there.
    In my 11.10 installation 'Users and Groups' is shown in Dash, whether logged -in to Ubuntu or Gnome Classic.

Whilst with ClassicMenu Indicator, or when logged in to Gnome Classic, it shows in the Applications>Other menu.

It runs in a Window titled 'User Settings' and the option is 'Manage Groups' in both cases.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Ok, I have this problem:

I downloaded DKMS but I still get the same error message.

Beans

I had the same problem. After much searching, I found that this fixed it.

Run terminal and enter the following two commands

sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-generic

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Virtualisation

@ wuasaby:
    Welcome to the forums. Please spare a thought for those with slow connections and remove the full-sized screenshot from the body of your post and attach a thumbnail. From the Code of Conduct:
    Images: Be prudent in your use of images; they may help to explain something more clearly or indicate a problem you are experiencing better but you have to remember that not everyone has the same bandwidth. If an image is the best way of handling the information, please use thumbnails or keep your image to a small size and less than 100kb.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 13th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.