Thread: Vlc 2.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Vlc 2.0

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop via wubi, I installed it about one week ago. I'm going to install VLC on it but I want to be sure that I'm installing the 2.0 version. The information section in Ubuntu Software Center doesn't say anything about the version it's about to install. That makes me wonder if there is a version 2.0 on Ubuntu yet or if it already is 2.0 and they just didn't put that info in there. I won't install it until I'm 100% sure it's the version 2.0. All the help will be appreciated.
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Vlc 2.0

As you are running 10.04 , you can go to the synaptic package manager by going to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and entering vlc in the search box.

When it comes up just click on the entry and then right click and select properties then open the versions tab.

I just posted this here so that you know how to find out in future, the version in the repositories is actually 1.0.6 at the moment.

The vlc team also recommend that 10.04 users install version 1.1.0 manually as the 1.0.6 version is now outdated. See here for details:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

Hope this is of some help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Re: Vlc 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by winh8r View Post
    As you are running 10.04 , you can go to the synaptic package manager by going to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and entering vlc in the search box.

When it comes up just click on the entry and then right click and select properties then open the versions tab.

I just posted this here so that you know how to find out in future, the version in the repositories is actually 1.0.6 at the moment.

The vlc team also recommend that 10.04 users install version 1.1.0 manually as the 1.0.6 version is now outdated. See here for details:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

Hope this is of some help
    Thanks a whole lot. Is there any .deb package that I can use?
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.