Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there an Android app for Ubuntu forums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

is there an Android app for Ubuntu forums?

Much like the title says.I have not found one..but it would be very nice is there was one that I missed in my search..

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: is there an Android app for Ubuntu foruma?

It's called "browser", it comes with just about every android phone. There are also several alternatives available in the android market, personally I'm using Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    It's called "browser", it comes with just about every android phone. There are also several alternatives available in the android market, personally I'm using Firefox.
    Yes but I was hoping the open source community built something like xda or IH8mud, tapatalk, or forum runner for the Ubuntu forums... Much like they built Linux to replace windows that comes with just about every desk top

I'm just not happy with the browser to do the job..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

That's kind of a snotty response.

The forums, as they currently are*, are not optimed for the small screen of a phone. The click targets are very small and one shouldn't have to zoom in and out just to navigate the site.

*there may be a mobile optimized version of vbulletin if this site were upgraded to v4.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not every phone is supported by Firefox, nor do people feel like having to resize every single page in the browser. Apps like Tapatalk make using forums on the phone a dream. If paying for it bothers you so much, there is a free version available at Getjar.

Geeze...

--bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bornagainpenguin View Post
    Not every phone is supported by Firefox, nor do people feel like having to resize every single page in the browser. Apps like Tapatalk make using forums on the phone a dream. If paying for it bothers you so much, there is a free version available at Getjar.

Geeze...

--bornagainpenguin
    will talkatap work with ubuntu forums?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nutpants View Post
    will talkatap work with ubuntu forums?
    Not yet it won't.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12287074

Also, with the browser, the cursor can jump around the text box when replying. The Tapatalk plugins are needed and easy available. The mods have to talk to Tapatalk. That's what we mods at SCOA did. Another VBuliten site as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I tried to make an application (for desktop, but android wouldn't have been too hard) for UF a while ago, using the (frankly rubbish) VBulletin API. Problem is, for some reason it's been disabled or is not working as expected. (ubuntuforums.org/api.php doesn't do much or doesn't exist)

If the API were to be enabled, I'd be happy to re-attempt it, and probably make a version for Android (but I'd need to learn Android first).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    I tried to make an application (for desktop, but android Isn't have been too hard) for UF a while ago, using the (frankly rubbish) VBulletin API. Problem is, for some reason it's been disabled or is not working as expected. (ubuntuforums.org/api.php doesn't do much or doesn't exist)

If the API were to be enabled, I'd be happy to re-attempt it, and probably make a version for Android (but I'd need to learn Android first).
    The tool is already available. The plugins need to be installed from Tapatalk. Thats all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jediknight36 View Post
    The tool is already available. The plugins need to be installed from Tapatalk. Thats all.
    It would appear to be a proprietary application.

That's all I'm saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast