Thread: No distro will launch on Acer Aspire 9300 Laptop

Threaded View

Beans

Angry No distro will launch on Acer Aspire 9300 Laptop

I have an Acer Aspire 9300 laptop, and I wish to install a linux distro on it, but no distro will even launch. I made Live USB's and none of them worked. I verified that I made the Live USB correctly by trying to use it with my desktop, which worked everytime. I tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Mint, Debian, Knoppix and Puppy Linux. None of them worked. I tried normal boot and compatibility boot with each distro, to no avail.

After choosing an option in the main menu (Launch from USB or Install), it would show a blinking cursor for a while, then show artifacts and do nothing. In compatibility mode the text gets smeared all over the screen and does nothing. I tried using boot options like noacpi and xforcevesa etc. I even tried a Mint CD, didn't work. The only distro that would boot was an old version of Knoppix (CD), version 4 I think.

I simply don't know what to do anymore, I googled for help but I couldn't find any. If anyone could help me find the problem and hopefully find a fix for it, that would be great.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Edit: I tried launching Ubuntu Edgy from a Live USB, which worked. So Ubuntu Edgy works, but recent versions do not. I hope this info helps.
    Last edited by Resdayn; March 1st, 2012 at 10:02 AM.