Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Box full screen problem

Beans

Virtual Box full screen problem

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu on Virtual Box and I'm not able to expand the view to full screen. I realise there are other forums discussing this problem, and they solved it by running the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. However, I've done this already but as soon as I updated Ubuntu the screen no longer displays at full screen (1920x1080). If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Virtual Box full screen problem

When the kernel is updated, the guest additions need to be compiled into the kernel again. This is not a problem with Ubuntu. It happens with all distros when the kernels are updated.

Simply go to the terminal and execute

Code:
    sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    (or similar, depending on where the file is on your system. To make this less of a pain, I usually copy VBoxLinuxAdditions.run into my Home folder.)

You don't need to do this for all updates, only when the kernel is updated.
    Last edited by QIII; March 1st, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

Thanks for replying so promptly!

I've tried running the command, but I get an error back

sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    sudo: ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run: command not found

I also copied to my home directory.

any help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You will need to add the complete path to the .sh file. Mine is in my Home directory, so I can call it from there.

Hang on a minute and I'll fire up a vm and get you the file and path.

Edit:

Here you go.

Depending on your VBox version number, you will need to use something like this in the terminal IN THE VIRTUAL MACHINE, of course:

Code:
    sudo /media/VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.8_75467/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    That may not be your version number, so check what you have and make changes accordingly.

(My apologies, by the way. I did something I try not to do: assume that you understand exactly what seems obvious to me. I should have done a better job of explaining it in the first place.)
    Last edited by QIII; March 1st, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

Thanks mate!

That did the trick.

I really appreciate your help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you would, please mark this thread as solved so that the next guy with a similar issue will know there is a solution.

And you are certainly welcome! I accept payment in unmarked bills in small denominations...

Beans

This is a really stupid question, I'm trying to mark it as solved, but how do you do it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not a stupid question, just stupid instructions again. Doh!

In the upper right portion of the screen, look for "Thread Tools". In the drop-down box, make the selection to mark as solved.

Getting late. I'm getting even more stupid than I can account for because of my age.

Beans

Found it. Couldn't see it cause it logged me out.

Thanks again

Beans

Hello All,
    I was using Ubuntu 11.10 in VirtualBox.
    One day it automatically prompted me to upgrade to
    Ubuntu 12 and to a new version of VB.
    It works fine and all is well; except now, I cannot
    get full screen!
    I followed the steps above, but alas, it didn't work.
    I changed certain numbers to reflect my version of VBox.

Does anyone have any idea? I refuse to use Ubuntu now since
    it is so tiny. I miss using it. Any tips?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast