View Poll Results: Have you modded your Android phone?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course! I wouldn't have it any other way

44 57.14%
  • Thinking about it

15 19.48%
  • Don't want to, happy the way it is

11 14.29%
  • Too scared!

7 9.09%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Have you modded your Android phone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Have you modded your Android phone?

5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry to drag this thread back up, I've got a sensation xe, should I put cyanogenmod 9 on it? What benefits will I see?

Beans
    Distro

I have the HTC Desire/Bravo. I have rooted mine and s-offed. I am considering either the dgb aosp rom to increase my available internal memory. Another rom im considering is Sandvold's rom which at the moment is Ice Cream Sandwich and he is currently porting Jelly Bean, Which i look forward to.

I have considered Hardware mods. One of which is taking the charging coil out of a Palm Pixi back cover. Then soldering copper foil to the 5v connector and then sticking the coil to the back cover which will connect to the logic board by the copper foil touching. Then i can wireless charge it with a palm smartphone charger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (the version which also has a SIM and phone functions, from early last year, the P1000) and have Kang's modded OS running on it at the moment (ICS). I keep it in a brutally-cut-down faux-leather case that I bought with it, which is now just being used to hold the USB lead and a lanyard as a strap in place on the tab, which is then in turn inside a zip-up polyester case/bag/thing, onto the outside of which I have stuck loads of velcro to hold two small solar chargers, one feeds into the other which then connects to the phone's USB lead, which then curls into the cases and loops round them such that it won't get loose too easily. Solar battery life extender, in short, along with lots of protective padding that has had it survive several falls onto hard surfaces.
    The problem lies not with those who are mad and know it, but with those who are mad and don't know it.
    In Closed Source, Computers Program YOU!
    Reg'd Ubuntu User #15364 Reg'd Linux User #450202

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm on the third Android now (Galaxy S2), currently deciding if I should go for a Galaxy S3 or a Galaxy Note 2. I have tried Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" and couldn't adapt: too big to carry around.

I have modded all of them and will probably mod the upcoming ones. Defaults are OK but there's too much to play with and I can't avoid it.

I'll at least root the next one, try some roms/kernel, partition the sdcard the way I like it, change the cpu governors, etc). My first one (Motorola Milestone) was the one I had more fun with - bricked it a number of times when I was learning. That was the only one I physically modded (cracked the thing open to try an antenna mod). Androids are fun.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mr-woof View Post
    Sorry to drag this thread back up, I've got a sensation xe, should I put cyanogenmod 9 on it? What benefits will I see?
    I'm not sure about your model but, on the Galaxy S2, there's some slight increase in battery usage using default options. I have also experienced some weirdness in WiFi/3G/GSM: Sometimes, after switching WiFi or 3G off and then back on, the mobile sees 0% cellular signal, can't make or receive a call until I reboot or activate/deactivate airplane mode. I think this bug is already reported.

Cyanogenmode9 feels more snappy for me when switching home screens, launching and alternating between apps, as well as scrolling contacts. That's the main benefits I see but there are many other features.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Hidden!

I've only just purchased a Huawei Ideos x1, a.k.a. U8180. I don't think Mrs Lisati would be too impressed if I managed to brick it by incautious playing around..... Only addition is a 2Gb card & SIM transferred from another phone.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the information guys, I think I'll give it a go and see how I get on. Surely it can't be that difficult to root your phone and then install a custom rom?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a Nexus One and a Galaxy Nexus (and might get the Nexus 7). This means I already have Jelly Bean on the GN and no extra **** by telecoms provider or phone manufacturer. So, no reason to do any modding. I might root the Nexus One some time, but since I hardly use it, I don't have a pressing urge to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have an s2 which was rooted, cm10, themed etc but out of the blue it crashed. I sent it to samsung to fix (faulty motherboard) and they said they would charge me £150, when i asked them to return it as the price was preposterours i recieved it fixed

So now im running stock, apex with custom icons until the next nexus comes out when ill pick up the galaxy nexus (im only a student, we need to save money any way we know how)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345