Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Viruses in WINE

Beans

Windows Viruses in WINE

Hi, I was wondering, if I install WINE would this somehow allow windows malware to infect my linux system?

And lets say I insert an infected usb stick into my linux laptop, could the virus from the stick somehow infect my linux laptop? Because sometimes I insert potentially infected usb sticks into my laptop (for work).

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Windows Viruses in WINE

Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - I'd go so far to say that there's likely nothing with this functionality in the wild, but always assume your machine can be infected.
    17e0622bbe9bb1f8a5cc231ed260447a

Beans

The only thing I plan on executing in it is an application from a cdrom.

Let me clarify the question; by having installed WINE does this somehow allow windows viruses to run without my knowledge off of a usb stick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

no, since wine doesn't arbitrarily start running every executable on a flash stick when you insert it.

If you manually ran a trojan than sure, it might do something.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!

Chances are you're fine. But I wouldn't say categorically "not possible." After all, by virtue of their character, vulnerabilities are unknown until exploited.

You need to determine if the chance of infection (which is admittedly quite small) is acceptable given your particular risk tolerance.
    17e0622bbe9bb1f8a5cc231ed260447a

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ld.4lpha View Post
    Chances are you're fine. But I wouldn't say categorically "not possible." After all, by virtue of their character, vulnerabilities are unknown until exploited.

You need to determine if the chance of infection (which is admittedly quite small) is acceptable given your particular risk tolerance.
    Without the virus specifically targeting a linux platform running wine, I don't think it's possible to get infected from merely plugging in a usb stick. Ubuntu would have to autorun a linux script or an exploit that targeted linux specifically which in turn exploited wine.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Without the virus specifically targeting a linux platform running wine, I don't think it's possible to get infected from merely plugging in a usb stick. Ubuntu would have to autorun a linux script or an exploit that targeted linux specifically which in turn exploited wine.
    Does opensuse have an autoscript?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by helpme222 View Post
    Does opensuse have an autoscript?
    Yes, it's a function of your DE, both Gnome and KDE have facilities for autoruning scripts when removable media is inserted. I believe both can be deactivated although the exact method escapes me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Yes, it's a function of your DE, both Gnome and KDE have facilities for autoruning scripts when removable media is inserted. I believe both can be deactivated although the exact method escapes me.
    I will look into deactivating it. But if I insert a usb stick, it wouldn't automatically execute a virus would it?

Also, I had another security question, is it possible to infect a usb stick and the viruses files remain hidden?

Beans
    Distro

I would contend that anything may be possible, not many things are plausible however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast