Thread: Problems with partioning PPC during install

Beans

Problems with partioning PPC during install

Hi all,

during a clearance sale at my place of work I got a G5 PPC with 4 processors for 25 euros. Not had (gloat mode).

So the 1st thing that came to mind, and since my laptop is already running dual-boot win7+Ubuntu, was to install dual boot Mac OS 10.5+Ubuntu to make better use of the computer.

I've download the latest 12.04 installation CD (for PPC) and using the disk utility in Mac OS partition the disk (500GB) in 2: 100GB for OS X and 400 for linux. Both partitions have the OS X extended file system.

After rebooting the computer and going through the initial steps I've ran into problems at this step (taken from the FAQs for PPC installation):

What do I need to know for dual-booting?

See here, as it has some additional information for you.
    Assuming you have the other OS already installed, then the easiest thing to do is shrink an existing partition so that there is free space available on your hard drive. You can then choose the "Use the largest continuous free space" optition when installing Ubuntu. Remember to backup any important data before repartioning.
    I select the ""Use the largest continuous free space" option and get an error:
    Failed to partition the selected disk
    This probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned.
    Any suggestions on how to solve the problem? if I go medieval (= manual partition option) will the OS X installation be lost?

Cheers.

Beans

Re: Problems with partioning PPC during install

That'll be my unclear instructions then. To be honest they were written when I didn't really have a clue how things worked (and when no current live cd was available). They could do with an update by somebody with Mac OS/X experience.

If you've already set the 400GB partition type then it is not classed as free space even if there is no data in the partition.

The manual partition option would be the way to go. Unless you do something wrong it won't touch your Mac OS X install. You can delete the 400GB partition there. If you are not confident setting up the required partitions you can go back to the 'Use largest free space' option once you've deleted the 400GB partition.

As an aside, the live CD (and alternate CD) does have options for shrinking partitions which is supposed to make setting up dual booting easier. How well they work with mac partition types I have no idea, but they work for dual booting two linux systems.

Beans

Thanks rsavage.

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    The manual partition option would be the way to go. Unless you do something wrong it won't touch your Mac OS X install. You can delete the 400GB partition there. If you are not confident setting up the required partitions you can go back to the 'Use largest free space' option once you've deleted the 400GB partition.
    My first attempt was before partioning the disk and the same error occurred. There might be something funky going on. Anyway, I'll remove the partition and give it another go with largest free space and if that fails -> live CD. manual partion will be the last option as I feel very queasy when having to partition stuff in a minimal interface and without actually knowing what I'm doing.

As an aside, the live CD (and alternate CD) does have options for shrinking partitions which is supposed to make setting up dual booting easier. How well they work with mac partition types I have no idea, but they work for dual booting two linux systems.
    Ah ok. I thoutgh of using a LiveCD but could not find one that is specific for PPC. So I guess I would install a "normal" distro and then change it for PPC in Ubuntu. Is that correct?

Beans

For some reason the PPC live CD is called a desktop CD. You'll find the links on the PPC downloads page.

My first attempt was before partioning the disk and the same error occurred
    If you had just one big partition then you could of maybe tried the

'Guided - resize "drive details" and use freed space'

option, but I don't it would work for hfs+. Same for the live/desktop CD. You'd need to install some extra packages to be able to shrink partitions and preserve data.

Once you delete your 400GB partition then the installer should recognise the free space and you'll be away.

Beans

For some reason the PPC live CD is called a desktop CD. You'll find the links on the PPC downloads page.

If you had just one big partition then you could of maybe tried the

'Guided - resize "drive details" and use freed space'

option, but I don't it would work for hfs+. Same for the live/desktop CD. You'd need to install some extra packages to be able to shrink partitions and preserve data.

Once you delete your 400GB partition then the installer should recognise the free space and you'll be away.

I'm struggling with it. I've started OS X, deleted the 400GB partition to have only one partition at the time the Linux installation starts. Re-boot, re-boot again and start from the Ubuntu CD. Progress as normal to the partition step, choose "use large continuous space" and get the error again.

I'm probably doing some daft mistake. I'll try it again soonish but this time I'll write here what is the partition table that the installation detects/recommends - it might help to spot the mistake.

Thanks for your patience.

P.S. I should add that the OSX is a fresh installation and I have no data in the drive. The reason why I want dual boot is because I use OSX at work and it might come handy to have at home as well.

Beans

Hmm... I'd try the live CD and make sure the computer can see your hard drive. Maybe you are missing a kernel module or something?

Beans

Hmm... I'd try the live CD and make sure the computer can see your hard drive. Maybe you are missing a kernel module or something?
    The solution was simpler than that and it was mostly my bad.

There were 2 things I was doing wrong:
    1. Major issue: In OSX I was creating a new partition when I should have simply resized the existing one and leave the space "empty". I went back to the instructions and suddenly it all became clear.

2. Minor issue: I was trying to install Ubuntu straight from the CD without starting a "live session". When the 1st prompt appears one must write "live" to start the Live session. Once I go live and with the empty space in the HD, installing Ubuntu in Dual boot was a matter of a couple of clicks (as expected).

I still don't know if OSX was left unmarked but I assume so. A couple of things are not quite working and I am looking for solutions online now:

- Internet access is through a ASUS wireless USB adaptor N13. It was immediately recognized and started working with Ubuntu 12.04 (not in the live session) but the download speed is quite slow. That seems to be a reported problem and workaround should be available.

-Icons in the side bar of Unity are a white square. Again this seems to have reported.

-I need to install the support for multicore processing (the machine is quadcore). From here:
    Before 12.04, the default 32 bit PowerPC Ubuntu kernel image does not support SMP. This should not prevent installation, since the standard, non-SMP kernel should boot on SMP systems; the kernel will simply use the first CPU only. In order to take advantage of dual processors, you'll have to replace the standard Ubuntu kernel with the SMP version. Install the linux-powerpc-smp meta-package.
    I am updating the packages now and perhaps some of the issues will go away but if you could redirect me to some solutions I'll appreciated.

Thank you for your help.