Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

I have installed it before I have install ubuntu. so the OS was win7.

Quote Originally Posted by ufrocks View Post
    How are you guys installing from the .exe file?

Beans

After a lot of frustration with trying different methods, I finally got the BIOS updated via unetbootin. It's really easy. Just mount a USB key, start unetbootin, select FreeDOS and install, copy the BIOS update file to the USB key, reboot into the USB key, switch to the C drive with "c:" and execute the BIOS file.

Does anyone else hear a very slight but eventually very annoying whining sound from their laptop after this update? I think it's the fan running at a low speed and constantly oscillating between a slightly lower and slightly higher speed. It's getting on my nerves and wasn't there before the update.

Beans

@ufrocks

Is there a noticeable performance increase, once you install the upgrade or is it just placeboish?

Edit: Holy cow, my computer is really really silent now!
    Edit2: I got really crappy wifi connection quality under Ubuntu (I am sitting right next to my wireless router and the signal power is %60). Is there a way to improve this? (@ufrocks, is it the same under gentoo too, if so would you be kind enough to name the wireless driver you are using (ofc. if it is not iwlwifi as it is in ubuntu)).
    Last edited by gensym; April 17th, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Beans

Call me crazy but I try to minimize my exposure to radiation so I've removed the laptop's internal wireless card and I only use a USB wifi dongle so I can physically remove it when it's not in use and I can attach it to the end of a 5 meter USB extension cable when it is in use. I know for a fact that some or all devices with a wifi transmitter pump out radiation as long as they're powered.

Anyway, yeah the BIOS update makes it super silent but do you get that weird oscillating fan noise after the update?

Beans

Yes, I can hear a silent whistling if I try listening very hard, but it isn't too big of an issue for me.

Beans

Whistling, yeah it does kind of sound like that. Does the tone of your's rise and fall slightly every 3 seconds? That's the part that drives me nuts.

Beans

No there is no oscillation, at least not on my machine.

Beans

Paerez

>[*]turning off bluetooth via nm turns off wireless

This is controlled in the bios. You can set the switch to control Bluetooth, Wifi, Cellular Card (if you have one) or any combo of the 3.

Chris

Beans

Hello Guys,

Any update in the trackpad. for now does not support multitouch, tapping, scrolling. only the basic mouse function moving the mouse and right,left button are working. any workaround?

chris

Beans

Does anyone else have trouble with their trackpad jumping around and doing crazy things? I think it's because of my palm brushing against it, but I think drivers try to fix that, right?

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast