Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Romu View Post
    Hi,
    I've been running an XPS Full HD (L322x) for fews days now with Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 + Gnome 3 ppa. I see the LCD backlight butttons don't work, is there any fix somewhere? Thanks.

EDIT: Found, sorry, I should have searched before asking.
    I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 + 3.10 kernel and my backlight buttons do not work also. Mind pointing me to the fix you used?

Beans

I have a new XPS 13 (that came with Windows 8, then with UEFI). I wiped windows and installed only Ubuntu 13.04. I am booting in legacy mode.

The machine is basically working under minor tweaks but there is still a major problem. Sometimes when I insert some usb devices the machine turn off right away. No messages, nada. Just a black screen. This happens always when I try to plug-in an external WD My Passaport 500Gb, which is a USB 3.0 device. But it happened with other devices too (even USB 2.0 memory keys, for example it turned off once when trying to format such a device, but this is much more rare).

Is anyone experiencing this kind of problem? Maybe the problem is with USB 3.0. Is there a way to turn it off?

Beans

Dear XPS13 users,

I have identified a problem with the left USB port of XPS13. I have done some read up on this issue and apparently there are a few people who had this problem as well. The current discussion is at http://en.community.dell.com/techcen.../19491324.aspx

I'm running 12.04 LTS with the Dell Sputnik PPA.

The issue can be replicated when you connect specific devices into the left USB.

USB2.0 devices generally have no problem (thumb drive, usb2.0 wd passport hdd...), they all work good on the left USB.

Example devices that are confirmed to be not working:
    Logitech unifying receiver - if you connect to left usb, using a mouse 30cm away will make your cursor lags. This doesnt happen on the right USB
    WD Passport USB3.0 external hard disk - cannot detect when connect to left USB, works perfectly on right USB

I did a search on this thread and I found user dsat actually raised this issue in post #242, #239, but there's not much discussion about it.

I'm trying to find out if this a ubuntu/driver issue or a hardware defect. It seems pretty weird to me that the right USB works perfectly but not the left (they should have the same driver right?)

May I know if any of you have this issue as well? and if you found no problem on the left USB (tested with USB3.0 hard disk/devices), please post along with your ubuntu version as well so I could narrow down the issue.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Guys, why are you wasting your money on this box? The price is over $1500, anywhere from $1549 to $1599, (depending on which day of the week you scan the Dell site, I guess). If you want a laptop designed for Ubuntu, go with System76, otherwise, buy Lenovo,
    and run Ubuntu as a VM. By the way, I am not trolling here, I own one New Dell desktop, a 660, and I have had two Dell laptops in the past 7 years, both of which run Linux flawlessly, any version greater or equal to Suse 11, but Dell is playing games with Linux supporters,
    and is not a serious proponent of Linux, in my view. Also Dell support is terrible - never buy anything from Dell, unless you know what you are doing 100% of the time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paerez View Post
    ok, to fix brightness, run as root:

echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

Then the keyboard brightness controls work.

EDIT: I put this script into /etc/init/backlight.conf:

Code:
    start on runlevel [23]
    task
    exec /bin/echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    It works when I run "sudo start backlight" but it doesn't happen on boot. Not sure why. I'm new to upstart. Any tips?
    In my case, the command:

echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

turns the screen into black, and keyboard controls don't work, so be careful. You can replace "echo 0" by another number ranging from the minimum to maximum brightness (you can browse files in intel_backlight directory to discover a right number for your case).

Daniel.

Beans

With Ubuntu 13.10, my L322X start but the resolution is very very bad like a frequency error.
    I read and i found that the problem is something about dpp clamping or something else...
    Any solution?

Beans

I booted with Ubuntu 13.10 usb on Dell XPS 13 and my screen looks like this

IMG_20131117_203621.jpg

I managed to install it with a help of external screen (which works right), installed all updates and still have this.

I don't have a clue even what I should try to do. Any hints?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Suor View Post
    I booted with Ubuntu 13.10 usb on Dell XPS 13 and my screen looks like this

IMG_20131117_203621.jpg

I managed to install it with a help of external screen (which works right), installed all updates and still have this.

I don't have a clue even what I should try to do. Any hints?

I just bought an xps13 today and had the same problem. I turned off secureboot and it seems to boot fine now. I am having a few issues with the wireless (struggling to connect to certain networks) and the touchpad (no multitouch) though, but apart from that it seems to be running fine.

Beans

I am also trying to put Ubuntu onto a new XPS 13 Haswell (i7, 256GB SSD, Intel 4400 Graphics).

I have originally run into the problem of built-in display not working with Ubuntu 13.10 (running on a USB stick).
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2198946

I am testing Ubuntu 14.04 (on a USB stick for now). It seems to work fine (although there might be small problems such as the ones mentioned above). But brightness adjustment, tap-to-click, and disabling bluetooth works.

I am contemplating whether to install 14.04 (daily build) or put a newer kernel on 13.10 so that the display works.

I will be very happy to hear the experiences of the others and any suggestions.

Cheers,
    tuuk

Beans

Hi all,

I know I do not post very often, but just wanted to add my 2 cents, for what it's worth, regarding the XPS13 developer edition with Haswell processor. I bought the 256 GB version that comes with the touch screen. I don't think you can get that version without the touch screen. It does not bother me either way. I do not use the touch feature often, so it is not an issue for me. The screen is absolutely beautiful. It was the higher resolution that made me go for this laptop instead of the Macbook Air. This is not my main computer. I have my Macbook Pro (dual boot OS X/Ubuntu) and a Dell XPS17 L702x (to Ubuntu only) to do my digital heavy lifting.

It arrived on Wednesday and I have been using it since then. I have had no problems with it. When I took it out of the box and started it up, it booted up in just a few seconds. It saw my wireless network and connecting to it was as easy as connecting my Macbook Pro when I first got it. Absolutely no connection problems. It ran through the updates, which can take a few minutes. After a reboot, the XPS13 has been working without a hitch. I have been able to install all the software I need to use on it, again, without issue. In terms of battery life, I am getting about 6.5 to 7 hours doing basic stuff: word processing, Web browsing, e-mail, photo editing, listening to music, and reading ebooks. I am not a gamer, so I cannot tell you anything about how it behaves that way, but I am sure others have. I have the screen brightness low but not minimum. Even on the lower settings, the screen is quite bright. I also turn off the backlit keyboard unless I need it. Since I do not have any Bluetooth devices for this guy, yet, I turned that off, too. I have no problem with the battery life, considering Ubuntu is not always the most efficient in energy usage.

I have not done any programming with it yet, but will do so soon.

Oh, and I did not upgrade it to a later version of Ubuntu. It's running 12.04 LTS, just as my other laptops are. I will upgrade it to the next LTS when it comes out. I have not had any problems with hardware or software. I know some people have.

Anyway, depending on your needs, it is worth taking a serious look at. I realize that my posting is not a technical review, just my first impressions. Just so you know, I am using it right now.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast