Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Unfortunately, I have to report yet another problem. My computer is crashing about 70% of the time coming out of resume and requires a hard boot. I hope this is because I'm using the latest daily builds and that the problem will be fixed by the time the stable 13.04 is released. Has anyone else been having this issue?

Beans

I have tested left usb port successfully with 2.0 usb sticks, which are working fine. The problems seems to be usb 3.0 devices... any suggestions?

I also think, that these are prerelease-bug's. I wait to to get a stable lts update end of April

Beans

Hello again,

well I tested if for a few days now and got to say that this Cypress Touchpad is horrible. In standard settings it is damn slow, you would need 4-5 times flipping over it to get the mouse from the left to the right side of the screen.

I then speeded it up with gpointing-device-settings. But that thing only scales it. Instead of moving 1 pixels for example, it moves now 2 or 3. Just as you set it, but the touchpad becomes extremly unexactly that way. Hitting small buttons like the X to close a window becomes hardly impossible.

And tapping small buttons does not work, because the cursor moves of the hitting zone, when you tap!

Does someone know, if this is a linux driver issue or is the Windows driver that horrible too? Does it have something to do with the full hd screen resolution? I mean hd ready has less pixels so obviously you would get the intention, that the touchpad is more exactly. As far as my technical understanding goes...

My girlfriend wants to return the XPS13 (it's brandnew) and I'm really upset too that dell build that **** in that expensive laptop.

As I read, all improvesments from the repos where already build in to 13.04, so repos wouldn't fix my problem right now.

Any ideas for me? I catch myself trying to do everything with the keyboard and searching for Hotkeys all the time...That gerenerally a good and effective handling strategy, but you can't do everything with hotkeys. And I wouldn't spend 1299,- € für that experience.

Bye
    MPW

/edit: With the help of a friend of mine, I found out, that Ubuntu 12.04.2 WITHOUT the Cypress-Driver runs much much smarter. The touchpad's quite fine without the Cypress Driver. And multitouch works aswell. I can just suppose to not to upgrade to 13.04.
    Last edited by mpw; April 3rd, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mpw View Post
    /edit: With the help of a friend of mine, I found out, that Ubuntu 12.04.2 WITHOUT the Cypress-Driver runs much much smarter. The touchpad's quite fine without the Cypress Driver. And multitouch works aswell. I can just suppose to not to upgrade to 13.04.
    I have got my xps 13 in April with 12.04 from Dell with working touchpad also. Also multiouch works perfect. At the moment I struggle a bit with receiving files via bluetooth, the not working usb 3.0 connect on the left usb port. accu power with 3 to 4 hours could be better.
    but hey, it's a delicacy to work with this fast ultrabook, I love my xps : )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vuarnet View Post
    Starting with 13.04 there will be no need for the custom sputnik kernel ppas bc they've been merged into source.
    Obviously you did not read my post. In 13.04 the touchpad driver is horrible! It is NOT usable. With 12.04 ootb it works far better.

Right now I'm experiencing a little wifi performance issue. I don't get more than 600KB/s which is not enough to stream hd video. Does someone has any issues like that?

Beans

I was soooooo looking forward to getting a Dell XPS13 (despite its already disappointing video resolution), but now I would be fooling to stick to my original plan.

Our department buys four to five new notebooks a year. So far this year, we have purchased two ASUS notebooks (with 64-bit Windows pre-installed and secure boot as default), both have been working very satisfactorily (both are running Raring now). The only problem we have was that, with one of the two machines, we couldn't use the functional keys to adjust screen brightness. But we are able to circumvent this problem by locking the screen brightness adjectment app on the launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Has anyone noticed the backlight regression in Raring kernel? Has it been fixed yet? *Is* there a fix for it? There's a bug report for it (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1163720) but I've never been able to make heads or tails of Launchpad. The Sputnik kernel PPA says it's not necessary in Raring, and it seemed to work fine for awhile, but it stopped working for quite some time. Just wondering if anyone know's what's up?

Beans

Yesterday I got my sputnik II (the new version), since then I upgraded to 12.10 and then - mainly because my phone didn't work with mtp in 12.10 - also to 13.04 kubuntu. Now I'm running kernel 3.8.0-18, and most things are working as they should. In particular, keyboard lights, screen brightness (with the keys and automatic when on low battery), trackpad (with gestures for up to 3 fingers, i.e. horizontal/vertical scrolling, 2- and 3-finger tab for mouse buttons, tab and drag; configured via the kde system settings). for fine movements the trackpad is a little painful, and it's also easy to hit it accidentally while typing. suspend works fine, hibernate I haven't tried yet. the wifi connection was unreliable at first, but improved with the tweaks suggested in this thread. I had a lot of fan noise, but hope that is due to all the installing/downloading dropbox etc, still have to check how the fan behaves under normal conditions.
    So generally speaking, I am quite happy with the machine!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by jacki View Post
    the wifi connection was unreliable at first, but improved with the tweaks suggested in this thread.
    Can you point me to the tweaks you mention, or at least the page it can be found on? I have slow wifi speed also and I'd love to know how to fix it.

Beans

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 12 that - I hope - is very similar to the XPS13 device. After booting the display-brightness is set to minimum - unfortunately brightness level 0 means backlight off - this is a little bit annoying. However the brightness-keys work fine and after resuming from standby the previous backlight-level is restored. Could the XPS 13 workaround work here as well?
    The daily build from 2013-04-10 with 3.8.0-18 kernel is installed.
    The horrible trackpad is the same with the XPS12, I'm using a Gigabyte m7700 bluetooth-mouse now (the touchscreen is precise but suffers from a touch-end bug...).
    With the A05 BIOS my i7 stays quiet nearly all the time.

thanks in advance
    best regards
    Last edited by Mr LJ; April 14th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast