Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Hi there,

I upgraded to 12.10 and added the relevant sputnik ppas.

When I type uname -a

Linux xps 3.5.0-23-generic #35+kamal11~DellXPS-Ubuntu

which looks promising. How do I know that the relevant software is installed; Cypress drivers for example?

Beans

Hi. I'm thinking of getting one of these, and am curious about mouse gesture support --- particularly whether there's three-button mouse emulation (either configurable, or just out of the box). There are days when I use mouse-middle (well, actually three-finger-tap on my current ASUS, but that's how it's treated) more than the equivalent of mouse-right.

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsthau View Post
    Hi. I'm thinking of getting one of these, and am curious about mouse gesture support --- particularly whether there's three-button mouse emulation (either configurable, or just out of the box). There are days when I use mouse-middle (well, actually three-finger-tap on my current ASUS, but that's how it's treated) more than the equivalent of mouse-right.

Thanks!
    afaik, the cypress touchpad is fully supported with use of the ppas, and will be fully integrated into the source starting with 13.04 (which I've tried, and despite a few *tiny* bugs, is *awesome* on the xps13 ... but of those one of which was mouse settings lol). My guess is that if the feature is supported in ubuntu, it will work with either 12.04 or 12.10 with the ppas added. Starting with 13.04 there will be no need for the custom sputnik kernel ppas bc they've been merged into source.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just bought a XPS Sputnik with the new HD sceen (by the way: awsome!).

I've installed Kubuntu 12.04 and the Sputnik ppa. My kernel with uname -a is:

Linux ******* 3.2.0-39-generic #62+kamal15~DellXPS-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 4 19:08:48 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Everything is working fine except for the wifi, that appears to be quite slow. Has anybody the same issue?

Edit: Found a solution to my problem following this post. Only I've not disabled the power saving options (I just did the terminal part
    Code:

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf sudo modprobe -rfv iwlwifi sudo modprobe -v iwlwifi )

And everything is really clicking now on this wonderful machine!
    Last edited by Nittalope; March 25th, 2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: found the solution
    Michele Falappi
    Dell XPS13 Developer Edition - Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG - Ubuntu 10.04
    Acer Aspire 6530G - Ubuntu 9.10 - Acer Travelmate 290 - Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Hello guys,

just got one for my girlfriend. Ubuntu 13.04 runs everything ootb with battery performances up to 8,5 hours in idle.

Kernel 3.8 rules it

Touchpad with multi touch (2 finger scrolling, right click with two fingers and even 3 fingers guestures work), wifi, just everything. I only activated the touchpad features in the system settings.

Bye
    MPW

Beans

What do you mean by 3 finger "gestures"? I can't seem to find the way to change any of the pre-set gestures. With 3-fingers, it only has one gesture. It shows these weird arrows all over the selected window and allows you to drag the window around. Nothing else and no settings. On maximized windows, 3 fingers do nothing. For 4 fingers, a single tap brings up the search window. No other 4 finger gestures as far as I can tell.

If you've figured out something else, PLEASE let us know how to do it. Thanks!

Beans

Well, I just said that the driver detects 3 finger guestures. And thanks for the hint with 4 fingers.

Probably you can change the action in the xorg.conf. Did Not try it.

Anyway, the touchpad is pretty lazy and unexactly. Same for you?

Beans

Ok... so It's not just me. The touchpad recognizes multi-touch but the built-in gestures are mostly useless. Thanks for the hint about xorg.conf. I did some googling and found this: snip. It looks like we may have a way of adding custom gestures after all. I'm going to look at it later when I have some time. As far as the overall smoothness of the touchpad, mine isn't too bad. It's not as good as a mac touchpad but much better than my previous Dell one. Also, my XPS 13 isn't the developer version. It's the one that came with Win 8... so I can tell you that it wasn't any better on Windows 8 than it is on Ubuntu 13.04. Overall, I'm satisfied with it, but it's still far from perfect. Hopefully, they'll keep improving the smoothness of the driver over time.
    Last edited by Elfy; March 20th, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mpw View Post
    Hello guys,

just got one for my girlfriend. Ubuntu 13.04 runs everything ootb with battery performances up to 8,5 hours in idle.

Kernel 3.8 rules it

Touchpad with multi touch (2 finger scrolling, right click with two fingers and even 3 fingers guestures work), wifi, just everything. I only activated the touchpad features in the system settings.

Bye
    MPW
    Hi mpw,

I also work on this great machine now, but actually with 12.04.

Battery life with "normal" work is about 3-4hours.

Are both usb ports working? In my case only the right side is ok, the left give's power, but no mouse nor other usb device doesn't run on the left...

Greets,
    Pete

Beans

My usb ports seem to be working fine (tested with flash drives). However, I also got about 4 hours of battery today while doing "normal" work (i.e. nothing that would stress the processor). I'm actually quite unhappy with this. Part of the problem seems to be that the auto-dimming feature is not functional. You have to remember to dim the screen when not plugged in or else battery life will go to hell. I'm also wondering if the Intel Speed Step technology is working right. If it isn't, that would explain the ****** battery life.

Edit... I only got 4 hours even after manually dimming my screen.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast