Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

about the windows uninstall

I bought an XPS 13 in a best-buy store in Boston, US. I repartitioned the hard drive to install an ubuntu 12.04 from a pen drive.I had no trouble doing it.

BUT I had to change the equipment because of a glitch in the screen, and the people at best buy insisted that in order to receive the equipment the boot sector should be exactly the way they gave it to me.

That is, they wouldn't accept the machine booting with grub.

I hope that when sputnik releases, with ubuntu support, these problems should be solved. If not, just keep a backup copy of the whole drive just the way it comes when you buy it, just in case.

(Once I got back home, hey offered me support in Argentina for 2 years for an extra U$S 200.)

On the other hand, I bought an i5 with 128 SSD and 4GB memory. I would recommend upgrading it to 256 GB SSD, and if you are working with heavy stuff (which is not your case) adding another 4GB ram woudln't be bad either

BTW, The ultrabook works wonderfully great with ubuntu.
    Last edited by opensas; January 6th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Beans

Great stuff guys, thanks for all your help. I'm going to get onto Dell soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hey has anyone heard what's going to be happening with the Sputnik PPA under Raring? Will the PPA get updated? Or is it Quantal the end of the line?

The Sputnik kernal is pretty awesome, btw. For the heck of it I tried Fedora and it couldn't do even as well as Ubuntu without the Sputnik business.

Beans

Hi guys, on the strength of the advice here I went off and got an XPS 13. I'm pretty happy; installing ubuntu was a doddle. I am having trouble connecting to the Sputnik ppa and I'm wondering if someone could help me.

I'm running 12.04 64bit (3.2.0-37-generic).

I went to

https://launchpad.net/~canonical-hwe...sputnik-kernel

and followed instructions to add the precise sources to sources list (I did this through the terminal). I checked my sources file and sure enough the ppa lines are there...

Since (presumably) I don't have any sputnik software installed, a simple "update" probably won't be enough. Is there something I need to do to tell my update manager to get the hardware software (Cypress, for example)? I did try sudo apt-get upgrade too but nada...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Check out the packages page for the ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~canonical-hwe...rnel/+packages

And click on "linux" for precise. It says which packages are provided.

You may have to go into a package manager and choose the version from sputnik, if the one from the official ppa is ahead of it.

It looks like Kamal (who's the owner of the sputnik ppa) is getting the new cypress drivers pulled into raring:

http://ubuntu.5.n6.nabble.com/Raring...td5009970.html

That was the main issue I had, so hopefully raring will have it out of the box!
    Knowledge is half the battle.
    The other half is violence!

Beans

>> You may have to go into a package manager and choose the version from sputnik, if the one from the official ppa is ahead of it.

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm in synaptic and I can see none of these packages; or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Beans

Samsung laptops can brick if ubuntu 12.10 or later is attempted. luckily i could restore windows and am using VirtualBox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

look for packages that start with "linux-image-" there should be a bunch of versions. Use the page I posted as a reference to find the version from sputnik.

The issue is that if the sputnik version is older than the official one, the official one gets install (because it's newer). So you have to pick the sputnik one directly, and potentially uninstall the official one (hopefully this can be done simply). Then you may have to lock the version to the sputnik one so updates don't replace it.

Sorry it's not super easy, but that's why they're trying to incorporate this directly into raring.
    Knowledge is half the battle.
    The other half is violence!

Beans

Okay, that type of work is new to me and I don't want to break my system so I think I'll jut hold off until the upgrade comes out... thank you for your help, it's much appreciated

Beans

Hello,

I'm trying to dual boot with ubuntu 12.10 and windows 8, the result was:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1610578/

But when I choose ubuntu in grub is caught in the initial purple screen before starting the load.

Thank you.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast