Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by opensas View Post
    Hi

I usually format the whole pen drive to a fat32 partition, and just use Unetbootin

always worked fine so far. try with another usb stick
    I'm good to go now thanks to the USB DVD-RW drive, but before I purcahsed that I had tried multiple pen drives as well as unetbootin, still didn't work.

My trackpad gestures seem to work just fine, but I'd like to customize them. Currently the following works:

- Two finger scroll (vertical and horizontal)
    - Two finger right-click
    - Three finger; Up - launches the lens, Down - Moves windows around
    - Four finger; Left - hides Unity dock, Right - Reveals Unity dock

I'm happy with the 2-finger gestures, but I'd love to enable three finger left/right gestures as backward and forward in browsers, nautilus, etc.

Also, I'd like to use 4-finger (up/down) to launch Compiz' Scale and Workspace switching, respectively.

Anyone have any luck customizing these inputs?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hey there - I just ordered this laptop last week to replace an old Lenovo that was donated to my sister. It will be arriving today, and I'm really excited. I was just curious, if anyone knows, what would be the best, most efficient harddrive partition scheme for this laptop? I have no plans to keep Windows (I wish I could afford to just buy the Ubuntu version, but that was prohibitively expensive) so I'm really up for anything. Usually I have /home on its own partition, but my last laptop had to have /boot on its own as well (I never really figured out why that was and only figured it out after a lot of trial and error.) So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks!

Beans

does the dell xps 13 have line-in?
    Would i be able to record with audacity using the kombo-jacks line-in?

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

On all my Dell's I've only ever done 2 partitions, / and /home. People talk about "needing" swap, but that's a bunch of crap. While running on a 4 gig machine you'll never get to use swap unless you're running several VM's at once, just don't do that. Also you'll hear about "needing" swap if you want to hibernate, but with this machine's startup time, that's mostly pointless, and if you absolutely must hibernate, well the system will use space it can find for it. I forget if I read it was under / or if it went in your home folder but basically while it's recommended to have swap that's double your ram, I am unwilling to use a boatload of SSD just in case.

Also reports from Dell are that the headphone port also acts as input, but you can bet that it's mono-only input, not ideal for actual recording of anything. If I were you I'd get some sort of external sound processor to get stereo.
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." -John Kenneth Galbraith, Economist

Beans

Also reports from Dell are that the headphone port also acts as input, but you can bet that it's mono-only input, not ideal for actual recording of anything. If I were you I'd get some sort of external sound processor to get stereo.
    to bad, so the dell xps wont be an option, thx.

Beans

What is the best version of this XPS-L321X ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Hi there,

I am considering buying an XPS13. I will use it for doing light scientific computing on-the-go. I run 12.04 on my desktop and laptop and think it's great and wish to use it on the new device.

I'm living outside the US so don't have access to the developer edition.

My questions are:

1. Is there a preferred hardware (i.e. i5 rather than i7) to minimise fan noise and extend battery life... or, even better, has the issue of fan noise been eliminated altogether?

2. Is there any sense in waiting for the Developer edition to enter Eurpoean markets if I've no interest in developer tools?

3. Is there a big BIOS or hardware change coming up from the Trackpad manufacturer/Dell which I should wait for?

4. Any other general advice before buying?

I should mention also that I've never installed from anything other than a CD...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can use the sputnik ppa

https://launchpad.net/~canonical-hwe...sputnik-kernel

For a lot of hardware compatibility.

Both i5 and i7s used in the XPS 13 have a tdp wattage of 17w, so no difference in fan heat.

The only reason to hold out for the dev edition would be to leverage dell's support, since they'd support ubuntu on it.

Installing from usb is really easy, and ubuntu has instructions when you download it for usb install.
    Knowledge is half the battle.
    The other half is violence!

Beans

Thanks for your reply Paerez. Do you know if there are install issues when Win8 is installed first? I read that it was difficult to get rid of 8 once it's installed. If so, do you know if Dell can sell it without an os?
    Last edited by cathalcummins; January 5th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not exactly sure on that. I have the previous gen xps 13 and it came w/ win 7.

Seems like you can turn off secure boot in the bios, then you're fine:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....01185#p1201185

Also, looks like Ubuntu 12.10 will boot on secure boot. My guess is they got secure boot keys for it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting#efilinux

However, 12.04 does not boot w/ secure boot. So dell's sputnik probably has secure boot keys in it that dell got from MS.

So, I think you're safe, just disable secure boot if 12.10 doesn't work right away.
    Knowledge is half the battle.
    The other half is violence!

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast