Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Hi,

I'm planning to buy an XPS13 from Dell and install Ubuntu on it. I would also like to buy a dock, and the Dell site suggests the Kensington SD400 Dock for that (snip[). It says that it "universally" supports all laptops with USB ... but ... well.

I was wondering if anybody has some compatibility issues with Ubuntu and this dock ? Especially for the video part and the ethernet part, because I would like to use an external monitor and plug an ethernet cable in it.

Thank you for any hints,

Patrick
    Last edited by Elfy; March 20th, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by paterijk View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to buy an XPS13 from Dell and install Ubuntu on it. I would also like to buy a dock, and the Dell site suggests the Kensington SD400 Dock for that (http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...gen&sku=627297). It says that it "universally" supports all laptops with USB ... but ... well.

I was wondering if anybody has some compatibility issues with Ubuntu and this dock ? Especially for the video part and the ethernet part, because I would like to use an external monitor and plug an ethernet cable in it.

Thank you for any hints,

Patrick
    My personal dock is just like this:

- a mini-display adapter with DVI (of course, you can use a VGA one)
    - a 4-ports USB hub with mouse and keywbord plugged
    - an ethernet cable with USB adapter

the first two on right side, the third on left side.

Nothing more

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garak View Post
    My personal dock is just like this:

- a mini-display adapter with DVI (of course, you can use a VGA one)
    - a 4-ports USB hub with mouse and keywbord plugged
    - an ethernet cable with USB adapter

the first two on right side, the third on left side.

Nothing more
    Thx for the advice.

Beans

Just wanted to say that I'm pretty happy with my xps 13 ultra book running Ubuntu 12.04 desktop amd64 with dells project Sputnik PPA updates. There are some refinements that can be made, but generally it was a painless install and everything is working.

The touch pad could use some tweaking but is completely usable in my opinion.

The brightness issue is gone with kamal's kernel from project Sputnik.

Battery life seems great as well, but is hard to pin down due to battery times fluctuating depending on how heavily you use your system. In general I would guess I'm seeing at least 5 hrs and probably closer to 6hrs with normal Internet surfing and network usage.

I'm using the 5ghz band for wireless and sometimes it takes 30 or 40 seconds to reconnect after waking from suspend, but that's truly not a big deal.

I'm currently troubleshooting a wake from suspend ata1 com error, but suspect its because I'm using a non stock 256gb crucial m4 ssd rather than the 128gb Samsung ssd included with the xps 13. The error doesn't prevent wake from suspend, but does seem to delay it by 10 or 15 second so it's not a big deal, just an annoyance really.

All in all, I'm ecstatic with this setup and dells commitment to supporting linux on the xps 13.

Beans

Does anybody know if the xps13 kernel development is going to continue when Quantal will be released? I am happy with the LTS at the moment, but there are a few quirks I like about 12.10, and I'd like to upgrade as soon as it comes out.

Thanks in advance.
    S.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by newcolour78 View Post
    Does anybody know if the xps13 kernel development is going to continue when Quantal will be released? I am happy with the LTS at the moment, but there are a few quirks I like about 12.10, and I'd like to upgrade as soon as it comes out.

Thanks in advance.
    S.
    I dist-upgraded just today.
    So I'm using 12.10 since a few hours, so far so good

Beans

Did anyone try installing another Linux based OS (or FreeBSD for that matter) on the XPS 13?

If so, I would very much like to know how the experience turned out to be.
    Last edited by gensym; October 13th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Beans

I purchased the XPS 13 last month and have installed the official Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with the Sputnik PPA added. So far I am VERY pleased with the performance. The only issue I have had is that screen brightness settings revert back to the default after reboot, and act up a bit after waking from suspension. I'm fairly certain that this is being worked on (and may even have been resolved), but it hasn't bothered be enough for me to fix it yet. Keep up the excellent work everyone!

nmaster is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Does anyone have any comments on the palm detection of the cypress touchpad?

Beans

anybody tried with ubuntu 12.10???

clean install and/or upgrading...

saludos

sas

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast