Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Alright you guys getting 5+ hours of battery life... I'm curious.

As I said before, I am using the kernel from:
    https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/dellxps
    with kernel parameters I listed a few posts ago.

I am also using Jupiter 0.1.2. When on battery I use the "Power Saving" governor.

My power statistics for today are approximately:
    MIN: 8W
    MAX: 15W
    AVG: 12W

Given that the battery design capacity is 47.3Wh with an actual capacity of 44.3Wh (for my battery "health" of 93.7%), it then stands that I get about 4 hours of usage on average. This is more or less true as long as I don't do a lot of compiling.

So, you guys getting the crazy 5+ hours of battery life, what does your power usage look like in watts? Are you guys somehow actually managing to get between 7W and 8W AVG?

If so, I wanna see some gnome-power-statistics "rate" screenshots and configuration parameters.

EDIT:
    I feel it is useful/interesting to mention that under no load, the unit charges at 14W (~3.2hrs). Under high load, it charges somewhere between 6W to 8W (~7.3 to 5.5hrs).

EDIT:
    In my search to find the "proper" way to set /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings to 1, I installed the package laptop-mode-tools and have edited /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf to disable all hard-drive related power saving optimizations. I have also moved /tmp and ~/.cache/google-chrome/ to tmpfs (ramdisk). My non-scientific testing leads me believe the system is now averaging a Watt or two lower than before. I will update my impressions after a few days of normal use running on battery power.
    Last edited by tshack; May 26th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

Beans

Last edited by gensym; May 27th, 2012 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks gensym, here is what I am currently getting:

Installing the laptop-mode-tools package seems to have made a HUGE difference for me.

Also, I have determined that the LED backlighting on the keyboard takes 1W on low and 2W on high, which can have a pretty decent impact on battery life.

It seems that your kernel has a less frequent tick_sched_timer than mine, although we seem to be getting similar battery life now that I installed laptop-mode-tools.

Makes me wonder if the "deferrable timers" kernel patch is worth trying:
    http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/ti.../downloads.php

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tshack View Post
    Thanks gensym, here is what I am currently getting:

Installing the laptop-mode-tools package seems to have made a HUGE difference for me.

Also, I have determined that the LED backlighting on the keyboard takes 1W on low and 2W on high, which can have a pretty decent impact on battery life.

It seems that your kernel has a less frequent tick_sched_timer than mine, although we seem to be getting similar battery life now that I installed laptop-mode-tools.

Makes me wonder if the "deferrable timers" kernel patch is worth trying:
    http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/ti.../downloads.php
    I am using the stock kernel. Gave the dellxps kernel a shot, but I wasn't very satisfied with it.
    Would you be kind enough to share your laptop-mode.conf file (preferably through pastebin or sprunge)? Activating it in my machine only makes it consume more power

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting, perhaps I am merely perceiving better battery life due to my extreme wishful thinking.

It is also possible that I am subconsciously changing my usage habits to be more conservative.

Here is my current laptop-mode.conf:
    http://pastebin.com/7qkVrGdv

I have found that with laptop-mode enabled, "casual usage" such as text editing and surfing the web give better battery life. I don't feel that I see (or should expect) better battery life when performing processor intensive operations such as compiling, non-"hardware accelerated" video decoding, etc. This coincides with what I understand the intended behavior of the sched_mc_power_savings scheduler parameter to be, however it could also just be a placebo effect for that matter.

I believe that the laptop-mode package also does some TX power management for iwlwifi, but I have not attempted to confirm/quantify any benefit.

Also, I found my high tick_sched_timer event rate was tied to indicator-multiload's default 500ms sampling rate. Reducing the rate to a sample per every 1 to 2 seconds tames the tick_sched_timer event rate back down to negligible (and still allows me to spot runaway processes).
    Last edited by tshack; May 27th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Beans

@tshack:

I installed the A04 BIOS version successfully today and everything works fine so far. I've got the feeling that the fan runs more silently than before, at least during normal tasks such as reading a pdf-file or similar stuff. The unit still gets warm though. I hope that Dell will be able to fix this or reduce the heat because the warm air also blows out from under the keyboard and it can get quite uncomfortable from time to time (especially when it's charging at the same time). Have you or anyone else noticed the same behavior?

However, things are getting better and that's great

Regards,

Njubi

Beans

@tshack

Does setting NOATIME 0 in laptop-mode set noatime off for good? If so isn't that bad for your hd?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gensym View Post
    @tshack

Does setting NOATIME 0 in laptop-mode set noatime off for good? If so isn't that bad for your hd?
    I set noatime manually in fstab.

Setting CONTROL_NOATIME=0 seems to just tell laptop-mode to not control it -- not to remove it from fstab if it is already there.

You can query the kernel for the current mount flags with:
    cat /proc/mounts

When on battery power (i.e. laptop mode enabled), here is my output for cat /proc/mounts:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
    proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
    udev /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=1958016k,nr_inodes=489504,mode=75 5 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode= 000 0 0
    tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=786720k,mode=755 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/fd72fe90-7a76-408e-a120-cd3d3c4111b9 / ext4 rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered,discard 0 0
    none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
    none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
    none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,relatime 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,noatime 0 0
    none /run/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k 0 0
    none /run/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
    tmpfs /home/tshack/.cache/google-chrome tmpfs rw,noatime 0 0
    binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
    gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/tshack/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=100 0 0 0

Beans
    Hidden!

I ran powertop long enough to get process and device power estimates.

On AC power:

On battery power (laptop-mode enabled):

It seems that
    Audio codec hwC0D0: Realtek
    will draw less power when
    Enable Audio codec power management = Good
    in PowerTop's "Tunables".

This seems to happen automatically on battery power if laptop-mode is enabled or not. However, laptop-mode does seem to add some intelligent USB power management, according to PowerTOP.

On AC power:

On battery (ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE_TOOLS=0):

On battery (ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE_TOOLS=1):

and even though I am using laptop-mode's recommended virtual memory write-back settings, PowerTOP still seems them as bad (as shown in the above screen shots).

Also, to set the record strait, I completely removed the laptop-mode-tools package and realized that you get
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings=1
    on battery power automatically without the package as well. (Don't know what my problem was earlier.) PoweTOP calls this "Power Aware CPU scheduler".

Beans
    Hidden!

Notice: This method will not survive a reboot. I recommend the method in the next post instead: Found Here.

Alright guys, it isn't much but I found a way to make the mouse a little bit more usable -- mousewheel emulation.

Step 1 - Install GPointing Device Settings
    sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings

Step 2 - Run it
    gpointing-device-settings

You will get this:

Checking "Use wheel emulation" and selecting "Button 3" (as shown) will allow you to scroll by swiping your finger on the touchpad while holding down the second mouse button.

Note:
    If you would rather have middle click X11 style copy-and-paste, you can use these settings instead:

For some reason, if both boxes are checked, you will only get scrolling. Emulated middle click will stop working.
    Last edited by tshack; May 29th, 2012 at 05:04 AM.

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast