Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

@ufrocks:
    Thanks. Typo Fixed. Disaster averted.

No. The binary for "Startup Disk Creator" on Ubuntu 10.04LTS is provided by "usb-creator-gtk"

As documented in the link I provided, the Windows USB creator used was "Universal USB Installer," which is the Ubuntu prescribed method.

Thanks for the Wiki link.

Beans

Hello there,

I've recently got my Dell XPS 13 Laptop and so far I'm really happy with it. It's running Ubuntu 12.04 and almost all the components have worked out of the box. There are only a few things which don't work yet or that I'm not happy with.

Here's a list with some problems I hope to solve by posting this reply:

1. The brightness adjustment keys don't work yet. I hope that this will get fixed soon so I can control the battery consumption better. Does anybody know something about that particular part? It surprisingly works in BIOS but not in Ubuntu.

2. The fan still kicks in too often and when it does, it's very noisy. I have also recognized that the air blown out by the fan is quite hot.
    Plus, when I'm charging the laptop and using it at the same time, the keyboard also gets quite hot and it's unpleasant too type with. I've read some posts by people here who seem to have a similar problem. Does anybody know, if that's a commonly known problem with this laptop in particular and if Dell is working on a better BIOS update?
    I've got the A03 version installed. I know that there's an A04 version available but Dell lists it for Windows only so I don't think that there is any improvment for a Linux system. Any ideas?

3. I really miss the trackpad multitouch functions. So far it's fine for me but I'm really looking forward to the new driver which I hope is coming soon.

Everything else is nice and smooth

Regards,

Njubi
    Last edited by Njubi; May 27th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Njubi,

I use the kernel provided by the PPA:
    https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/dellxps

which fixes the brightness adjustment problem.

The installer for the A04 bios is a Windows executable, but installing it will benefit you.

ufrocks has provided a method for doing the update in Post #82 in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=82

Touchpad issue is still outstanding, I believe. However, at the bottom of the Gentoo Wiki link just posted by ufrocks, there is an interesting patch to the mainline kernel provided by Cypress in 2011 (which was for some reason rejected). I have no had time to look at it yet, but it is indeed, intriguing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Last edited by tshack; May 25th, 2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Information already posted in an earlier post. [Removed]

Beans

@tshack:

Thank you for your fast response. I'm thinking about the kernel-ppa but I'm not sure about it. I haven't got much experience with that sort of stuff. I'll probably wait a bit longer and come back to your suggestion if Ubuntu doesn't implement it themselves.

I installed A03 with freeDOS as posted in this thread some days ago and it worked perfectly but I was once told that you should be careful with BIOS updates.
    Is the A04 also suitable for Linux? I'm a bit confused because on the official Dell support site they list A03 as the latest BIOS update for "BIOS" which probably means "Not dependent on OS". A04 is only listed under OS Win7. Have you tried A04 it yourself and can you recommend it?
    I just want to play safe, you know

Anyway thank you very much. I'm glad to have people around here, who are competent and who can help me a little.

Regards,

Njubi
    Last edited by Njubi; May 27th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Njubi,

I understand if you are uncomfortable. If you decide to give it a try, then you will have working backlight control. Otherwise, you can give the fix described in the gentoo wiki a shot (I haven't tried it). The link was given by ufrocks a few links ago.

I am using A04. Works great.

Beans

Thanks for the info, I will try the Ubuntu LTS install this weekend (assuming my XPS13 gets delivered).

-Bryan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tshack View Post
    **BEWARE**
    In my experience (using a USB image created as described above in "2nd Try") and selecting the "Install" option started the installer in "OEM Mode," which pretty much means, "Unattended Install, we don't ask you any questions and we hose your current partitioning scheme without asking." This would have been fine except that the installer (ubiquity) was unable to initialize apt after hosing my partition table and insisted on just exiting and restarting the machine... naturally this resulted in "No Operating System Found." ...kinda embarrassing for Ubuntu.
    I don't know whether it is relevant, but today after deciding to replace the beta installations with clean installs, I managed to get an unbootable system.

When I try booting I get a message saying "Operation System Not Found" (no not operating but operation).
    I tried fixing this by reinstalling (didn't work), boot-repair (didn't work), messing with my bios settings (didn't work), trying to reinstall grub (didn't work).

Is there someone out there who had the same problem and knows how to solve it?

Edit: Arghhhh! It was ubiquity not setting the bootable flag for my operating system partitions! Once I set them using cfdisk everything started to work just fine.
    Last edited by gensym; May 25th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Got my new XPS 13 in earlier today. I just finished up installing Linux Mint to it. I like the appearance of Mint over Ubuntu so I went that way.

I had to make the additions to rc.local and add the script to sleep.d to get the backlight to work. Remember to set the permission once you get the script.

The trackpad doesn't work, but from everything I have read so far, I would have been surprised if it had.

I don't see the issue with Hibernate yet, but I haven't played much with it as of yet.

All in all very few issues really. The XPS is a nice piece of hardware.

Beans

>[*]turning off bluetooth via nm turns off wireless

This is controlled in the bios. You can set the switch to control Bluetooth, Wifi, Cellular Card (if you have one) or any combo of the 3.

I don't see any settings for this in the BIOS. anyone else have a fix for the F2 function key turning off all wireless?

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast