Re: Dell XPS 13 ultrabook compatibility

Firmware A04 reported fixes are:

1.Increased coverage of supported AC adapters

2.Updated LED behaviors for the keyboard backlight and the charge indicator

3.Improved S3 resume behavior

4.Further refinement of fan acoustics

Beans

Hope we get any news in a few days. Really love my XPS with Ubuntu. But with an additional mouse is it annoying.

The FAN is very nervous. I have the BIOS Version A04 and he runs often. And what you do to increase the battery lifetime?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by denniswisnia View Post
    Hope we get any news in a few days. Really love my XPS with Ubuntu. But with an additional mouse is it annoying.

The FAN is very nervous. I have the BIOS Version A04 and he runs often. And what you do to increase the battery lifetime?
    I posted some grub switches (2/3 pages ago) which makes things smoother.
    If the battery time isn't still good enough you can try installing the liquorix kernel, or install the stock kernel and apply the ck patches...
    I also have the Jupiter applet installed which does some additional power management.
    With those installed, I get nearly 6-7h in Kubuntu.

On another note, what is the average CPU temp you guys get under Linux?
    In windows I get 50 celcius degrees but in Linux it is around 60 celcius degrees (which is bugging me a little, am I doing something wrong?).
    Last edited by gensym; May 19th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Beans

I'm usually around 62-64 Celsius.

Has anyone tried controlling the fans in userspace?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ufrocks View Post
    I'm usually around 62-64 Celsius.

Has anyone tried controlling the fans in userspace?
    Nope... Another weird thing I noticed: The computer shuts down due to overheat every time I "force" matlab to solve some complex equations... Did anyone experience something similiar and/or know a work around?

Beans

I've had a few unexplained shutdowns myself. It is probably the same thing.

Beans

I'm actually running Mint 12 on mine (sorry, this is the only real active forum for the dell xps13 linux stuff) and the battery life is horrible - less than 3 hours.

The touchpad though is the main area of contention for me as well - makes my Google CR48 still feel like the better device. :/

Good news that Dell is working with Cypress - I hope something comes soon.

Beans

Has anyone tried the Sputnik ISO yet? I am awaiting the arrival of my xps13 and plan on installing Sputnik. any suggestions, tips, hints?

-Bryan

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi everybody!

Excellent thread. I also can't wait for the touchpad driver to come!

Anyway, here is my input on recent messages:

@gensym:
    Interesting regarding your random shutdowns while running Matlab. For what it is worth, over the last couple of days I have built ITK, Qt, VTK, Slicer4 and an array of other large software packages using make -j 5 (which has pretty much ensured that all 4 cores are incredibly busy for hours). I have experienced no random shutdowns although the fan has kicked into high gear and the unit is pretty hot.

I am using the "bottom rung" i5 configuration with the 128GB SSD. Are you experiencing your issues on the i7 configuration or do you also have the i5?

As a side note, I am using the kernel found here:
    https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/dellxps

and I am also passing the kernel parameters:
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
    i915.i915_enable_fbc=1
    i915.lvds_downclock=1
    pcie_aspm=force

I am on the latest BIOS firmware (A04)

@bdnewman997:
    I did try the Sputnik "Demo" ISO (sputnik-iso-20120502-1.iso.bz2), but only after trying to convert it to a USB thumbdrive image. In short, my advice is to forget it and just do the few extra XPS 13 specific tweaks yourself.

1st Try:
    I first tried to go from ISO -> USB using the 10.04 (Lucid's) "Startup Disk Creator." This failed. The image would not boot properly.

2nd Try:
    I booted up an Oracle VirtualBox 4.1 VM with USB passthrough running Windows XP and followed the directions here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...ick-on-windows

This resulted in a USB drive that actually booted. The option to test the image as a "Live-CD" without installing worked fine, however, you are not given the option to install while in the mode, you have to reboot and select "Install" from the grub boot menu.

**BEWARE**
    In my experience (using a USB image created as described above in "2nd Try") and selecting the "Install" option started the installer in "OEM Mode," which pretty much means, "Unattended Install, we don't ask you any questions and we hose your current partitioning scheme without asking." This would have been fine except that the installer (ubiquity) was unable to initialize apt after hosing my partition table and insisted on just exiting and restarting the machine... naturally this resulted in "No Operating System Found." ...kinda embarrassing for Ubuntu.

So, no problem, I just created a normal Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) USB installer from the AMD64 iso and everything installed fine. I then added the following PPAs (as given in the Sputnik documentation):
    * https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/dellxps
    * https://launchpad.net/~vanhoof/+arch...ernate-enabled

and everything is working find and I couldn't be happier. Honestly. I have been using Linux for my desktop OS for nearly 15 years now and I think I am in love with my Dell XPS 13 running Ubuntu. (...except for the Touchpad).

IMHO, messing with the Sputnik "Demo" ISO is currently more of a headache than it is worth (unless, maybe, you have a USB CD-ROM drive). Installing plain 12.04 LTS from USB is very simple and straightforward. Adding the two additional PPAs is also simple and straightforward to get backlight and hibernation working. My understanding of Sputnik is that other than including these two PPAs it just comes with a different set of default packages aimed towards some generic developer persona... but I'm sure you are more than capable of just installing git or svn or emacs or whatever when you actually need them.

For more details see:
    http://hwe.ubuntu.com/uds-q/dellxps/README.html

I think the Sputnik Project is a great idea, and I would love to see Dell sell an Ubuntu branded machine. I definitely like what is going on between Dell, Ubuntu, and Cypress in terms of getting this touchpad driver straightened out. However, I don't think the "Demo" ISO is ready quite yet.
    Last edited by tshack; May 24th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Beans

You made a slight typo. It's:

i915.i915_enable_fbc=1

Did you use unetbootin to create the USB image? Also, there's an XPS13 wiki here:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dell_XPS_13_Ultrabook

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast