Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty Connecting to Wireless Network

Beans

Difficulty Connecting to Wireless Network

Hello everyone,

As you can tell I am brand new to the forums and as you will soon find out, brand new to Linux. I recently installed Ubuntu and am attempting to connect to my wireless router, which is a NETGEAR WGR614 v.7. When I attempt to connect to the network it just spins for a while, asks for my password, then spins for a while longer before asking for the password again. This repeats endlessly. From what I can tell, I may have a driver problem. I downloaded the firmware (WGR614v9-V1.2.30_41.0.44NA.chk) on another computer and brought it over to this one using a thumb drive.

My questions are these: How do I tell if this is a driver issue? If it is, how might I install this firmware that I've gotten from NETGEAR or do I need something else?

I apologize if something similar to this was answered earlier, but I welcome any and all advice.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Difficulty Connecting to Wireless Network

Hi ! and welcome to the forum.

First of all run the below command in the terminal and post the out put here so we can have a clear idea.

To open the terminal press Ctrl + Alt + t

Code:
    lspci
    Make Google your friend
    Please Mark threads as solved when they have been answered

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If Ubuntu can see your wireless network or other wireless networks. Then you do not have a driver problem.

When you click on the network icon do you see a list of available networks? If so then you have a working wireless driver.

When you select your wireless network (the router that has the name of your ISP) to connect to and you are asked for a password, what password are you putting in?

Is it your log in password? If so then that is the wrong password. You need the pass phrase or wireless key for the router.

You may not have the correct encryption method. But network manager usually works that out for you. Are you using Network Manager to make the connection or are using editing the connection details yourself?

The router should have this information on a label stuck on it somewhere.

By the way, we do not need drivers for the router. Sometimes we need a driver for the wireless card/adapter in the computer. Often the wireless adapter is detected during the install of Ubuntu and the correct driver is installed as part of the operating system. This is especially true if we installed with a cable connection to the router.

Those times when we need to install a wireless driver or a video driver we use the Additional Drivers utility which will find a driver and activate it. We need a cable connection to the router for this to work.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thank you for the helpful and timely replies! Actually, I managed to solve the problem. What I did was reset my router to factory settings, then reinstalled it and used security settings that seemed more in line with Linux. After doing this, I configured the network in Ubuntu to the correct settings, entered the passphrase - et voila! So you were right, it was not a driver problem but a security settings problem, I guess. This would seem to explain why Ubuntu would repeatedly ask me for the router's passphrase even while it was successfully detecting the router.

Beans

Hi again everyone,

Looks like I was wrong. Connection to the network went on without a hitch until I turned the comp off and back on this evening. After the reboot, it was right back to where it started; which is to say continuously spinning and asking for my pass phrase over and over again while trying to connect to the wireless network. I am recognizing my network just fine, it just fails to connect to it - seemingly because of some sort of issue with the pass phrase.

So, changing my connection and security settings doesn't seem to have helped. Apparently the connection I got last night was a fluke. Anyone have any other ideas? Here is the output that was asked for last night, any help at all would be very very appreciated!

00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev f3)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
    00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev f3)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev f3)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev f3)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev f3)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:09.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
    04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] (rev a1)

To clear up some previous questions:

Is it your log in password? If so then that is the wrong password. You need the pass phrase or wireless key for the router.

I am using the passphrase for my network, not my password for logging onto the OS.

You may not have the correct encryption method. But network manager usually works that out for you. Are you using Network Manager to make the connection or are using editing the connection details yourself?

I guess I am using the network manager, because I have not tried to edit anything myself.

Beans

Here is info about the router and network:

Netgear 54MBPS WGR614 v.7
    Security Type: WPA2-PSK
    Connection Type: DHCP
    Dynamic IP

Some of my ignorance is showing as I must admit that some of this means nothing to me.

Beans

Difficulty Connecting to Wireless Network (link)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1932665

Hi everyone,

I posted this thread yesterday in the beginner forum before I saw this subforum that seemed quite a bit more appropriate. Hope this sort of link is allowed. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Beans

Netgear 54MBPS WGR614 v.7
    This is your Adapter.

Security Type: WPA2-PSK
    This is the type of encryption used. ( more here )

Connection Type: DHCP
    Dynamic IP
    This is the Protocol used to assign your IP address. Which in this case is changing with every new session. It is the most common in use Protocol (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Nothing unusual until here or mis configured until now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clausrei View Post
    This is your Adapter.

This is the type of encryption used. ( more here )

This is the Protocol used to assign your IP address. Which in this case is changing with every new session. It is the most common in use Protocol (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Nothing unusual until here or mis configured until now.
    Thanks for the info, especially about the encryption type - that was very informative. But nothing here looks amiss that might be causing the issue?

Beans

I'm reading quite a bit about ndiswrapper as a method for solving problems similar to mine, but it looks like it is mostly useful when you are unable to detect the network at all. Since I can detect the network but cannot successfully connect to it, is there another method that can be helpful?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast