Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I realize the magnitude of all the "Can't Connect to Wireless" threads, butttt....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I realize the magnitude of all the "Can't Connect to Wireless" threads, butttt...

This is a really easy fix and you do not need ethernet to download the drivers or firmware. They're on the live CD/DVD. Since you have no ethernet it'll be easier to go into a live session, get the wireless going, then immediately install the OS while the wireless is working.

Open a terminal after you boot from the LIVECD and go to additional drivers. Select the STA driver. Once it activates, which it will right from the CD, it will prompt you to restart. DO NOT RESTART! Simply open a terminal and
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    Wait a few moments and then try to connect.

Once you connect, install the OS during that live session. Once it finishes you will have a live working wireless connection on your first boot into the newly installed OS.

Beans

Re: I realize the magnitude of all the "Can't Connect to Wireless" threads, butttt...

Quote Originally Posted by bkratz View Post
    You should be able to find what you need in post 3 of this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1932922
    Wow! How nice to see being quoted for a solution! (probably for the first time!)

However, as already figured out, that post assumes a working ethernet connection which is not the case here (damn this r8169 bug!!). Accordingly, TBABill's method seems most straightforward. Another alternative method (for no-internet connection) is given in the community documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...nternet_access

As for the ethernet issue, this post should be all that is required: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11719747

(the above linked post uses driver version 8.026... You might wish to get the latest one (currently 8.028..)from realtek's site: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...&GetDown=false . The parts of commands that contain the driver/folder name would change accordingly.)

The downloaded driver file (.tar.bz2) contains its own installation instructions in a README file which is just running:
    Code:
    sudo ./autorun.sh
    as ratcheer suggested. Normally, this should take care of everything, but some users have reported problems even after that, hence the alternate method I linked to above.

I'll eagerly wait to see which methods worked for you.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

TBABill's method worked! Thank you so much! I'm so happy now haha.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad5150 View Post
    TBABill's method worked! Thank you so much! I'm so happy now haha.

Glad you got it going, congratulations! I too will make note of that trick (never thought of it!).

Beans

Question Re: I realize the magnitude of all the "Can't Connect to Wireless" threads, butttt...

So, you are going to do a new install just to get the wireless driver working?

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Well it was a fresh install anyway so it didn't really matter. Also, I thought it worked, but it turns out that I have a new problem with not being able to boot, so I can't even see if it worked or not...

Thanks anyway though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12