Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Software Center not Loading

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu Software Center not Loading

I'm running Xubuntu 11.10 on a Dell Dimension 4400.
    Whenever I try and open the Ubuntu Software Center, it does, but the window just stays gray:

And it'll just sit there, like that, until I try and close it, and then it'll say that Ubuntu Software Center isn't responding, and I just have to force shut it.

Anyone know what's up with this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Software Center not Loading

Don't know what's making it do that (USC is notoriously flaky at times), but the do-all fix for it is to uninstall and reinstall.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove software-center
    sudo apt-get install software-center
    I've helped many people try and troubleshoot the USC, and so far uninstallation/reinstallation is the only reliable fix I've found.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, I'll give it a shot. It removed xubuntu-desktop, though. What would be the command to install the desktop without installing all the recommended packages (such as abiword, gnumeric, all the ones that I removed)?

Beans

The desktop package is a meta package that doesn't do anything itself so it's not necessary. Basically it's a way of more easily installing all the original software the system came with without having to pick and choose each one by itself.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Hidden!

@Donkyhotay - Ok, so I suppose I won't worry about that then, and just not install it.

@Cortman - I'm still having the same issue, but technically I can install everything through the command prompt (as long as I know what I want), can't I?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi, yes you can and I recommend installing synaptic package manager and see if that works it is actually a better package manager in my opinion.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 to Synaptic. It's a world-class GUI package manager, if you prefer such. I personally do all my installing via the command line, but if you need to look up package information, use Synaptic.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, thanks.
    I suppose Synaptic is better, I just like USC because it's easier to just browse and read about programs. More visually appealing, I suppose. But I'll just use Synaptic and Terminal from now on.
    Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DaimyoKirby View Post
    Ok, thanks.
    I suppose Synaptic is better, I just like USC because it's easier to just browse and read about programs. More visually appealing, I suppose. But I'll just use Synaptic and Terminal from now on.
    Thanks again.
    I know just what you're saying about the USC- it really is a beautiful app and when it works it works wonderfully. I would uninstall it and reinstall if I were you. The visuals and smoothness of experience are about enough to make it worth it.
    But it's your choice. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DaimyoKirby View Post
    I just like USC because it's easier to just browse and read about programs. More visually appealing, I suppose.
    Then just give this a shot:
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.cache/software-center
    Btw., you shouldn't mark a thread as "solved" if the matter it's about isn't really solved; simply using another package manager is not a valid solution.

Hope that works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast