Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing XP AFTER installing Linux help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Installing XP AFTER installing Linux help.

Quote Originally Posted by hayloiuy View Post
    By the way can someone explain why there is more than threeOSes when I see the see the Grub list?
    Actually, there are only two: windows and Ubuntu. What looks like more Ubuntu installs is just old kernels.

Why the nonsense like swap, and other Linuxes recovery mode that I don't remember installing be in the list?
    There are no Linux "recovery" installs in that sense. Is I mentioned above, there are older kernels there. That is useful sometime when a kernel upgrade breaks you system. You can often boot into the older kernel and have the system still work.

As swap partition is always created automatically when you install Linux. You seem to have to, one of which isn't quite healthy. You can, at least with the Ubuntu installer, tell it to use only an existing swap partition without creating a new one. I would say you have two there because there are two Linux installs on there, or at least there are supposed to be.

Also, why are there so many partitions(sda4,5,6....) when I only created partitions for THREE OSes?
    Your partitions:

/dev/sda1 2,048 566,706,175 566,704,128 83 Linux /dev/sda2 * 566,708,940 772,067,834 205,358,895 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS /dev/sda3 772,079,614 976,771,071 204,691,458 5 Extended Extended partition linking to another extended partition. /dev/sda5 772,079,616 960,380,927 188,301,312 83 Linux /dev/sda6 960,382,976 968,445,951 8,062,976 82 Linux swap / Solaris /dev/sda4 968,458,240 976,771,071 8,312,832 82 Linux swap / Solaris /dev/sda3 overlaps with /dev/sda4Sda 1 is Ubuntu
    Sda 2 is XP

Sda3 is an extended partition. It doesn't count as a partition in it's own right. It is kind of like a container for logical partitions.

Sda5 is probably where Backtrack got installed to, I think.
    Sda 6 is a swap, maybe the one that got put in for Backtrack

Sda 4 is a swap, possibly the one that the Ubuntu installer made.

This all makes sense. There is nothing there that can't be accounted for. The only thing is, I fear that it is a bit messed up.

As I said, I don't feel qualified to help you try and fix it. You are better off waiting for someone with more of an idea about it than me.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You do have two swaps, but that by itself is not a problem. But the issue is that sda4 has to be a primary partition as all partitions from sda1 thru sda4 are primary. But primary sda4 is inside the extended partition which can only have logical partitions inside it. That then makes for issues reading partitions table.

If you do not need sda4 I would try to delete it. If gparted will not let you delete it, then try fixparts.

Backup partition table first, just in case.

First backup partiton table, use your drive for sda, sdb etc.
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > parts_sda.txt

To convert a partition from primary to logical, at least one free (unallocated) sector must exist between the partition and the one that precedes it.
    Fixparts - Repair broken partition tables (not overlapping issues) & delete Stray gpt data from MBR drives
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705325
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

I am hopeful that is all the issues. But if the other partitions still show issues then we may have to try e2fsck on those partitions.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You do have two swaps, but that by itself is not a problem. But the issue is that sda4 has to be a primary partition as all partitions from sda1 thru sda4 are primary. But primary sda4 is inside the extended partition which can only have logical partitions inside it. That then makes for issues reading partitions table.

If you do not need sda4 I would try to delete it. If gparted will not let you delete it, then try fixparts.

Backup partition table first, just in case.

First backup partiton table, use your drive for sda, sdb etc.
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > parts_sda.txt

To convert a partition from primary to logical, at least one free (unallocated) sector must exist between the partition and the one that precedes it.
    Fixparts - Repair broken partition tables (not overlapping issues) & delete Stray gpt data from MBR drives
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705325

I am hopeful that is all the issues. But if the other partitions still show issues then we may have to try e2fsck on those partitions.
    Do people in "Absolute Beginner Talk " speaks this way? Because I have no idea what you are talking about. I will try to read the links though.

Beans

The advise to install ubuntu after windows is well documented, now can see why.

I hate work arounds and if it were me, I would run a live cd and back up all my files, I would run gparted and wipe the hard drive, with formating with ntfs.

I would install windows using the whole hard drive, I would see if windows works.

I would install ubuntu using the install beside option.

Granted it takes a while to install two operating systems, but you can read a book or watch tv while it is going on. You have probably wasted more time than reinstalling would have taken and you wouldn't have a headache. You will have two new clean systems

Beans

I tried the boot-repair. It gives the same result as update-grub.

Boot-repair gave me this link that contain the grub info.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/861571/

Also Gparted shows my whole disk is unallocated. All 500GB of it.
    Attempts to create a new partition table will erase ALL data.
    FixParts does not help much as it expects you to know what you are doing which I don't.

What is going on here? I just want Backtrack 5 to be listed in the Grub.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ixtok View Post
    The advise to install ubuntu after windows is well documented, now can see why.

I hate work arounds and if it were me, I would run a live cd and back up all my files, I would run gparted and wipe the hard drive, with formating with ntfs.

I would install windows using the whole hard drive, I would see if windows works.

I would install ubuntu using the install beside option.

Granted it takes a while to install two operating systems, but you can read a book or watch tv while it is going on. You have probably wasted more time than reinstalling would have taken and you wouldn't have a headache. You will have two new clean systems
    That is one of the solution, but to me it sounds like running away from the problem. It makes you less understand how linux works. Isn't the point of linux is to teach GUI users how computers REALLY work?

Beans

By the way, in FixParts what does the option 'w' do.

Code:
    MBR command (? for help): w

Final checks complete. About to write MBR data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING
    PARTITIONS!!
    Is this dangerous?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hayloiuy View Post
    By the way, in FixParts what does the option 'w' do.Is this dangerous?
    Don't use Fixparts -- see the tutorial I linked below for you for more info:

As to your question about Linux, I would say no -- the purpose of Linux is to provide a free alternative to MS Windows and Mac OSX. If you want to dig down inside of it to see how it works, that's entirely up to you. Unlike with these other OSs, source code is actually available for your perusal.
    Mint 15 & 16; MS Win7 & Win8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Don't use Fixparts -- see the tutorial I linked below for you for more info:

As to your question about Linux, I would say no -- the purpose of Linux is to provide a free alternative to MS Windows and Mac OSX. If you want to dig down inside of it to see how it works, that's entirely up to you. Unlike with these other OSs, source code is actually available for your perusal.
    No.... There is nothing in about 'w' option in there....

Any other tool to fix partition table?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If the partition table is ok, after the changes Fixparts suggests, then you have to do the w to write the corrections. Only do that if you have made the backup of your current partition table with sfdisk as posted and saved to another device. Did you go thru the tutorial on the fixparts site?

All the other ways to fix the type of errors in a partition table are not for new users. Lots of command line.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast