Thread: Proxy in Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Proxy in Evolution

Has anybody got the evolution working under proxy?

In this forum I see or tried to see all the post related to proxy in evolution but did not see any solution to it.

So, is it not solvable? should I ditch the evolution? or is there any way to edit some file and make it working? I have latest evolution 3.2.3.

any concrete advice/help is welcome.

Nitya
    "Our duty is to encourage every one in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth." -- Swami Vivekanand

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Proxy in Evolution

I am sure that this can work, but don't know how.

There is an entry in Evolution in the menu edit>preferences on the "network" tab for setting up a proxy manually. I dare say that is where you would have to start.

edit: I should mention that my Evolution talks German, so I might not have the menu name exactly right. Look for the best fit.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you using Evolution to access a webmail account like gmail or hotmail? If so, you need to make sure that the ports used by your mail client protocol (POP3, IMAP, SMTP) are enabled- I think POP is 110, SMTP is 25, I forget what the others are.
    Of course this only works if you are the one who sets the proxy settings. Some companies' proxies block those ports deliberately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Are you using Evolution to access a webmail account like gmail or hotmail? If so, you need to make sure that the ports used by your mail client protocol (POP3, IMAP, SMTP) are enabled- I think POP is 110, SMTP is 25, I forget what the others are.
    Of course this only works if you are the one who sets the proxy settings. Some companies' proxies block those ports deliberately.
    I am using Evolution for my gmail and Yahoo with POP.
    How do I check that which port has been allowed by my Institute for incoming and outgoing mails.
    audiomick
    I have tried using the network tab in evolution and in also from connection settings for systems. Nothing happens to evolution, It is not at all working. No fetching no sending of mails.
    "Our duty is to encourage every one in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth." -- Swami Vivekanand

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Any idea how to make it work? I am trying all the tips/tricks given anywhere but no luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I haven't gotten evolution working under anything. Running 10.04 and although canonical says it keeps updates, what's in the software center seems to be a few releases old.
    There are those who say they have FREE yahoo email working and those who say it won't work. I've tried all the methods I can find and it's not working for me. It's a shame it takes this much effort and time.
    I give up. It just ain't worth the hassle. I have 3 email accounts, none work with it. I'm dumping it and just going with checking each one individually.

I will check back once in awhile. Just in case I'm feel like wasting some more time.

Hmmmmm...... seems like I'm a bit frustrated.......

Morhin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by morhin View Post
    I haven't gotten evolution working under anything. Running 10.04 and although canonical says it keeps updates, what's in the software center seems to be a few releases old.
    There are those who say they have FREE yahoo email working and those who say it won't work. I've tried all the methods I can find and it's not working for me. It's a shame it takes this much effort and time.
    I give up. It just ain't worth the hassle. I have 3 email accounts, none work with it. I'm dumping it and just going with checking each one individually.

I will check back once in awhile. Just in case I'm feel like wasting some more time.

Hmmmmm...... seems like I'm a bit frustrated.......

Morhin

Do you mean behind proxy or with direct connection to Internet? If you are directly connected this linkhttp://learnedstuffs.wordpress.com/2...-in-evolution/ might help you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You may want to switch to something like Thunderbird. Evolution gives a lot of problems, but YMMV.

Beans

I have evolution working just fine. As I recall do not check the box that has encrption or uncheck it if it is checked.

and all works fine. My T-Bird has a problem I could not get it to send email. Removed

it installed Evolution, all is well.