Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual Install

Beans

Manual Install

Is it possible to install any version of UBUNTU as an upgrade without booting from an UBUNTU DVD or USB stick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Manual Install

as an update you can only install the next official release. you wont be able to install 12.04 untill it actually comes out

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by parkerskouson View Post
    as an update you can only install the next official release. you wont be able to install 12.04 untill it actually comes out
    +1
    What do you have now, and what do you want?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Olle Wiklund View Post
    +1
    exactly

Beans

Smile Re: Manual Install

I think your gonna have to boot from disk.
    Last edited by Jake5; February 25th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Beans

+1
    I have an older desktop, with corrupted windows xp, and problems booting from a DVD or USB drive. It may boot from its original CD drive. I just want to get ubuntu loaded so that I can access the internet and try to resolve any remainig driver issues.+-
    Last edited by pctechtwe; February 25th, 2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added my reason for wanting to install ubuntu without a boot disk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pctechtwe View Post
    I have an older desktop, with corrupted windows xp, and problems booting from a DVD or USB drive. It may boot from its original CD drive. I just want to get ubuntu loaded so that I can access the internet and try to resolve any remainig driver issues.+-
    No worries if you can boot your computer from the original CD drive

The normal way to install Ubuntu is to boot from a CD or USB drive and either run a live session to test and later install, or to install 'directly'. But even then, you boot from a CD or USB drive. On very old computers you might need other alternatives: boot from floppy or to take out the hard disk drive and transfer (install) the system when it is attached to another computer.

How old is it and what specs: cpu, ram, graphics? Without knowing I suggest you download the Lubuntu iso file and burn an install CD. Try if you can run a live session from the CD to test the look and feel of Lubuntu! And after that post back and/or try to install Lubuntu!

Good luck

Beans

No worries if you can boot your computer from the original CD drive

The normal way to install Ubuntu is to boot from a CD or USB drive and either run a live session to test and later install, or to install 'directly'. But even then, you boot from a CD or USB drive. On very old computers you might need other alternatives: boot from floppy or to take out the hard disk drive and transfer (install) the system when it is attached to another computer.

How old is it and what specs: cpu, ram, graphics? Without knowing I suggest you download the Lubuntu iso file and burn an install CD. Try if you can run a live session from the CD to test the look and feel of Lubuntu! And after that post back and/or try to install Lubuntu!

Good luck
    Thanks Ollie, I will download the Lubuntu iso now

Beans

Thanks Ollie, I will download the Lubuntu iso now
    downloaded lubunto iso to a netbook running Vista and burned the image to a CD using an external DVD drive. The installation disk booted ok. I chose to install lubunto but installation stopped at some point and left me at a command prompt. Did that happen because there is a copy of windows already installed? If so how do I get the system to finish installing lubuntu over the existing XP, or possiby set up dual booting?

Beans

downloaded lubunto iso to a netbook running Vista and burned the image to a CD using an external DVD drive. The installation disk booted ok. I chose to install lubunto but installation stopped at some point and left me at a command prompt. Did that happen because there is a copy of windows already installed? If so how do I get the system to finish installing lubuntu over the existing XP, or possiby set up dual booting?
    First try to test Lubuntu live (do not install at once, instead run it to get a feeling how it works).

- Does your input devices work (keyboard, mouse, touchpad ...)
    - Is the graphics working reasonably well?
    - Is it at least as fast as Windows?
    - Can you connect to internet?
    - Can you play a video clip (audio and video)?

If this looks good enough, you are ready to install. It is possible to install in many ways, and I suggest either dual boot with Windows or using the whole drive.

To prepare for that please start a terminal window with
    ctrl + alt + t
    Run the following command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    and
    Code:
    df
    and post its output within CODE tags, mark it and press the # icon at the top of this editing window.

This will show the layout of your internal HDD, and make it easier to discuss how to install Lubuntu.

Also you can look at the following threads
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    Lubuntu One Stop Thread
    Last edited by WasMeHere; February 26th, 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typing error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast